We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning a June vacation for family of three.

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
planning a June vacation for family of three.

We are planning a vacation in June. have gone to Mexico on the pacific carribean sides. Enjoyed both. Also Punta cana and bahamas- did not do all inclusive in the bahamas was expensive. We really enjoy the all inclusive vacations. I dont like to cook or really have to plan meals while on vacation. We also enjoy our alcohol drinks. With a teenager (16) Need entertainment a little bit. My worries are.. Ive heard that the bugs are really bad especially that the beaches are bad with them. Almost changed my mind. also one other question, has anyone stayed at the fantasy island resort. We were told that they charge for water bottles and they only have salt water showers. Is this true? Also considering the mayan princess. thanks.. sorry for all the questions.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning a June vacation for family of three.

Hi there,

I would say do all inclusive on the island if you do like your meals on site and do drink alcohol on your trips.

I have not stayed on the fantasy island resort but ive read all the different reviews and they are never consistent and i dont think the resort is looks well taken care of through the pictures ( however everyones experience is different). This place seems a bit more secluded to me and It seems that if they are not fully booked or during their low season it can be kinda of a ghost town.

I can help you and tell you that I have stayed at the Mayan Princess in their Beach front and have booked again for this May. I do like their service and the beach it self. They have 3-4 different restaurants in their resort so there is alot to choose from. Also the bar at their resort and at the restaurants and I believe the club lounge san simon a couple of doors down.

I stayed in May 2011 and during my week stay there during the day there is no bugs on the beach, nor sand flies then. They have said here and im sure they do that most resorts on west bay spray the beach down to eliminate the problem. The bugs and sand flies begin to come a bit before sunset so yes they will get you if you are out there too late.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning a June vacation for family of three.

Re Bugs: Have a look at the two threads below.

tripadvisor.com/…40888317

tripadvisor.com/…39229081

I don't know much about Fantasy Island save for where it is but my feeling is your 16 year old would be bored.

Mayan Princess is on West Bay Beach, there are all manner of water toys to try and people about to meet. I understand there are some limitations on alcohol in the AIs, ya might look in to the details.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planning a June vacation for family of three.

Do not expect any of the AI's here to be even remotely like AI's in Mexico. The AI's here offer 3 squares (but not the spread typical of AI's) and although there is not a limit on how much you can drink the selection of alcohol is limited to what they choose to offer as part of the AI package...definitely no top shelf and just a handful of cocktails offered....Also do not count on any of the AI's to offer all day activities/entertainment at night to keep your 16 year old busy. Unless your 16 year old is an avid diver/snorkeler I would say they might be bored here. A friend of mine who also is experienced with and prefers AI's took her family to Roatan. Her and her husband are avid snorkelers so they would go back to Roatan on a trip with just the two of them. But she said her kids said they didn't want to go back...i.e. too boring. If you do go stay in West Bay...I would hardly call it action but if anywhere this beach has the most action...at least your teenager might meet up with another teen on the beach. West Bay beach is also quite safe so there would be no worries of a teen waling up and down the beach there.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: planning a June vacation for family of three.

that's walking....not waling...but they might be waling if too bored....lol

5. Re: planning a June vacation for family of three.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 04, 2014