We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Items to Roatan

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toledo, OH
7 posts
Save Topic
Bringing Items to Roatan

We're traveling to Roatan with our 2-year-old son and we were hoping to bring lots of snacks for him since we're not sure how often food will be available and if he'll choose to eat it. I haven't traveled internationally since I was in HS, so I was wondering if there are any restrictions on types of food brought into the country. Thanks for any help!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

Uunless your bringing in snacks like raw meat and such there is nothing to be concerned with

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

Unless something has changed at the airport in Roatan since 2011 getting through customs is pretty casual. I think you'll be just fine bringing any snacks that your little boy favors. I doubt you are feeding him raw meat so as Kam M. says you should be ok!!! Is there still that thing about fruit? Just eat it on the plane. I have discovered so many bananas/apples that I have stuck in my carry on bag to eat on the plane that made it into the next country because I forgot about them that I should be in contraband fruit prison by now. The last time I was in Roatan in 2011 the X-ray machine that you have to put your luggage through once you claim it looked like it was made out of the box that a refrigerator came in ..... sometimes the guy watching what is going through the machine is watching sometimes he is talking to a nearby buddy...so bring whatever snacks you want. And have fun.

Toledo, OH
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

Thanks! Fruit was one thing I was curious about; the child can literally eat a pint of blueberries in a day. I'll bring some for the plane and purchase stuff for the trip once we get there.

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

No, you are not supposed to bring fruit into the country.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,463 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

you really don't have to break the law on this one... apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, watermelon, cataloupe (really good ones!) - all sorts of fruits at the grocery store... the rules about not bringing fruit and meat into the country are primarily related to the possibility of bringing in non-native pests... who knows what little bug might be hiding in your blueberry that could decimate the noni fruits on the island?

Toledo, OH
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

Thanks so much! I'm sure they'll have much better fruit than what we have in Ohio right now :)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

Canteloupes, Pineapples, Bananas, Oranges....not much else...and all this is imported. Maybe you can claim ignorance and smuggle some blueberries in. I guarantee you could get them through customs!!! I've never seen them search a bag????

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

I have sen the search the occasional bag but as mentioned, blueberries or pretty much any other fruit would not be an issue. I would not pack too many watermellons though

ont
Level Contributor
422 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

been searched last 2 times to enter roatan but i bring items that are not in orginal containers so stuff in ziplock and plastic wear seems to be a trigger

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

What about a hollowed out teddy bear to stash the blueberries in.