We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sir Idiot's Kayak

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Sir Idiot's Kayak

Right then, some of you may have been watching a kayak thread a few weeks ago. Sir Idiot mentioned he purchased an inflatable, his description inspired me to bring one with me.

I can't remember the last checked a bag but I decided being I wanted to explore the reef between Sandy Bay and Lighthouse Point I would suffer though the baggage ordeal... suffer I did. I had no idea ya gotta wait up to an hour on this end for the bags to get off the plane..shezz.

I got to West Bay at 2pm, was unpacked and inflated by 3:30. I managed to paddle up to Luna Beach in 42 mins. I had a lovely chat with a Canadian who runs a sailing school here by winter and in Montreal by the summer.. his boat is buoyed near Luna Beach.

I took my snorkel gear with me then realized the sun was to low in the sky for good visibility, in the end I enjoyed a very nice sunset while paddling back.

I am so excited about my new water freedom I can't hardly stand still.

I figure tomorrow I will sort out the "shezz, can I get back on this thing in deep water" debacle.

Any of you considering bring one down...don't think any more just do it.

Cheers to Sir Idiot! Fabulous idea. Thanks!

igs
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
287 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

Ahh.. thanks. My wife has been after me to bring some kind of floatation device out when I'm snorkeling on the reef, so boats can see me. Maybe a kayak will serve as well, though I think it would be awkward to snorkel while dragging it along behind.

Idiot, you're heading out to Roatan shortly? If so, say hi to Dan and Holly for us (Sally and Ian)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

We are getting close, igs... next week... we get there Feb. 20 for 6 weeks. Holly's picking us up - I'll tell her about your shout out!

igs
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
287 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

I'm jealous. We'd be down there this month too, but for the fact that our place is rented out until mid June.

Hickory Flat
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

4 more sleeps until we leave!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
221 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

Hopefully you figured out the deep water thingee :)) If I dont hear from you soon, I'll send the Navy., Really hows it going with boat? We need hints!

Austin
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

Got a question, would it make sense to get this to kayak from west bay to west end, snorkeling along the way? Or would that take forever given that I am a beginner???

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

I am a silly goose and have not as yet attempted to get back on the thing in deep water... I have been paddling out and swimming back cause by golly it is good exercise.

The little do dads to clip the paddle in are not secure, I have been slipping one end if the paddle under the cargo net.

What else? I have paddled as far a Luna Beach Resort (almost West End) it took me 45 mins. I have found going up I am fighting the breeze. When going out the the reef, the farther one gets away from the island the stronger the wind is coming from the the other side of the island, over the hill and blasting you out to sea. I have been warned by two locals NOT to get on the sea side of the reef.

I have only been in two other kayaks, one alone in a lagoon, there was a learning curve to keep the thing straight. The other time, last week in Camp Bay, with a local who was taking me to the mangroves... I was helping but he was the rudder. I have found on this little thing due to the, what do ya call those bits of plastic on the bottom? I think those are what is helping me stay straight.. As long as you have the strength to paddle I think anyone could do this.

I will paddle all the way to West End today...see how long that takes. Ya gotta figure an hour.

By the by ~ I have a rope with a couple clips I wrap around my waist.. I don't like dragging it with a foot. I also brought a second rope with clips to string my snorkel gear on and secure to the cargo net.. HEY did ya know that is a place for a water bottle...yippeee!

My confidence is building and I am having a grand time of it.

18. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 15, 2014