We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should we take anit malaria meds?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
should we take anit malaria meds?

never been to Central america before, should we be taking anti malaria medication? if so which one is best?

leaving in 2 weeks.

Cheers

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: should we take anit malaria meds?

I'm always shocked when people are too lazy to google "CDC Malaria" even when people tell them that's where they can get the specific information they need - then they return and ask the same questions... God helps those who help themselves...

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: should we take anit malaria meds?

It's almost as bad as those who don't bother to look at the upper right corner of the page under TOP QUESTIONS ABOUT ROATAN and ask a medical question that has been asked a 100 times. Faithie may be correct in what she says but does it make any sense to read the advice of CDC and that of other government's health agencies then go to a doctor who is trained in this stuff (or should be and if he isn't should know how to get the information needed) and then come on this forum and ask for an opinion? Like do they think that if we say 'Oh no, no way you need anti-malarials. I didn't take them and I'm ok.' that that means that if they don't take the meds that they won't get infected??? IMO people really need to do their research when travelling (particularly to the tropics) and especially if they are bringing their kids or seniors.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: should we take anit malaria meds?

wow thanks!! I did take the time to Read CDC, google and read all the forums related to malaria medications here on TA. my husband went to see his doctor yesterday who told him Chloroquine was for curing Malaria not treating?? um not correct. Clearly he needs a new doctor. Another woman on TA experienced hair loss? it's a lot of information to absorb when we add it all up. We are not the types to run to the doctors for antibiotics for a cold so we are taking this decision seriously. I have never heard of anyone taking anti malaria meds while visiting mexico, but the CDC advises you do.

There IS Malaria on Roatan brought over from people from mainland Honduras... enough said.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: should we take anit malaria meds?

Hi yoyobeach---

I'm debating what do to as well. So does that mean you will not take them?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: should we take anit malaria meds?

Yes definitely will be taking anti malaria meds , if it's there why take the risk. still load up on bug spray as well. happy travels

Edited: 10:44 am, January 29, 2013
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: should we take anit malaria meds?

Talk to your doc about malarone. It has much fewer side effects, taken one day before then daily and for 7 days after returning but it is more expensive which is not a problem if you have a drug plan. I would agree that if your husband's doc doesn't know that chloroquine is used to prevent malaria as well as treat it then yes he should get a new doctor...

There were women from Canada (MTL I think) that stayed at West Bay last winter didn't take the meds and came down with malaria. I agree, why take the chance.

17. Re: should we take anit malaria meds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:09 am, February 17, 2013
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: should we take anit malaria meds?

That's what I did, tried the chloroquine first found out it messed up with my stomach and gave me headaches so I switched to malarone.

19. Re: should we take anit malaria meds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 31, 2014