We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What neighborhood in Roatan to stay????

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
What neighborhood in Roatan to stay????

I understand there are a few areas of Roatan like West End Bay ,Sandy Bay, French Harbor, Oak Ridge, etc.

I'm NOT into the all-inclusive type of setting and prefer to see minimal other tourists. I don't like huge tourist traps. I like a village type of setting and don't mind my accommodations being a little rustic.

Which area do you think fits best? If I'm all the way on the Eastern part of the island, is it a long time to get to the more active Western part should we choose to go there?

Any hotel recommendations?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: What neighborhood in Roatan to stay????

West End and WEst Bay are separate distinct settlements, and that is where you will find the tourists and cruisers and lots of things to do. Further east is a lot quieter and has way fewer places to stay. There are isolated resorts where you would want to arrange to eat your meals as well as stay. I can suggest you look at Turquoise bay, Marble Hill, Paya Bay, and Camp Bay Beach, all along the northern side. I prefer the north because it's out of the wind and waves. Each isolated resort is to some extent a dive resort, because Roatan is such a strong draw for divers. The last 3 resorts I mentioned are off the paved road, but the dirt road is in good shape, usually. From Camp Bay to West Bay by car is about 90 minutes, slower than it looks because of traffic in the populated areas. You will find a lot of cheap to moderate places in and around West End. The isolated places to the east tend not to be very cheap. The furthest east, Camp Bay, looks perfect for what you want, though I have only seen it but not stayed there. Look at reviews on TA. On the south side the furthest east, Mangrove Creek and Royal Playa, require a boat trip, and they lack a beach. I'd steer you away from settlements like Oak Ridge or French harbor, as well as any VRBO places not on a beach.

Edited: 1:44 pm, January 24, 2013
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: What neighborhood in Roatan to stay????

oops, that last place I mentioned is Mango Creek, not Mangrove Creek, although there ARE mangroves and not any mangos. So why don't they call it Mangrove creek?

3. Re: What neighborhood in Roatan to stay????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, February 17, 2013
Hickory Flat
Level Contributor
149 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: What neighborhood in Roatan to stay????

We are renting a house in Sandy Bay. We didn't want to be totally isolated, but did not want to be in the middle of a bunch of people, either. Sandy Bay seemed like a good compromise.... We will see!

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: What neighborhood in Roatan to stay????

Definitely avoid West Bay, we could only stay for half an hour or so, too many tourists. There were 4 cruise ships worth of ppl there the day we went. We stayed in West End and it was still quite touristy, but not nearly as bad as West Bay. We stayed at Roatan B&B, which was about a 7min walk to the main street, so was pretty quiet. They have units with kitchens for a pretty good price. We liked it.

We much preferred Copan and Cayos Cochinos to Roatan. Mostly backpackers in Copan. Amazing scenery and very lively, but without losing it's small town vibe. Cayos Cochinos is so small, we stayed 2 nights and the 1st night there was one other couple staying, the 2nd night we were the only tourists. A true paradise. You have to catch the ferry to La Ceiba, then another boat from Sambo Creek. Well worth it. I think you'll like it if your looking to avoid tourists.

6. Re: What neighborhood in Roatan to stay????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 26, 2014