We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NCL port to West Bay-cost for taxi

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florida
12 posts
Save Topic
NCL port to West Bay-cost for taxi

We (2 of us) will be sailing on NCL Dawn in February and just want to go to West Bay on our own (as opposed to signing up with an excursion). Is that safe? And about how much should we expect to pay?

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NCL port to West Bay-cost for taxi

The price from the airport or ferry was $15 USD to West End. This is per car load, so find a friend or two to travel with you if you want to save a few bucks. I think it should be the same price to West Bay, but they may charge you more, I would be prepared for $20 just in case. Maybe someone else can answer that for you.

It's totally safe, and there will be plenty of taxi drivers, you'll have nothing to worry about. I can give you the phone number of they guy we used if you want to pre-order the taxi. His name is Alex, he speaks english and is very nice. Give him a pick up time and he'll be there waiting for you. let me know and I'll dig his number up. He'll also give you the island tour if your interested in that.

I would recommend going to West End rather than West Bay, but it depends on what you're looking for. The beach is bigger and a bit nicer in West Bay, and the snorkeling is better from what we were told, but it's so touristy and crowded that we didn't like it. West End (half-moon bay) where we stayed is still touristy, but not nearly as much, and there are more shops to look around and larger selection of restaurants from what we saw. Has its own little beach that was more to our liking. You cant go wrong however, Honduras is beautiful so just get ready to have fun!

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
457 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NCL port to West Bay-cost for taxi

Rates are all over the map from Coxen Hole to West Bay. If you leave the immediate area you might be able to find a cab to take you for around $20. However then you have to find a cab to get you back. That can be a little tricky. But possible. Give yourself time so you don't miss your boat! Some cabbies will set up a round trip and you can pay them when they come to pick you up. I'd be happy with $25 each way...for TWO people. Some cruisers end up paying that for each person. WAY too much.

You might look at vans of tours when you disembark and see if they have room to for a couple for just the drive and pick up. We did that once and got both ways for two for $35. The tour just dropped us and told us where to meet them later.

Edited: 3:56 pm, January 25, 2013
3. Re: NCL port to West Bay-cost for taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:09 am, February 17, 2013
Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NCL port to West Bay-cost for taxi

interesting, we were told by some cruise ship passengers we met that their ship came into the same harbour that the ferry comes into. I assumed all cruise ships would do the same. Sorry for the misinformation!

If you do go to West Bay and have trouble finding a taxi back, you can always take a water taxi to West End and catch a cab from there. We never had trouble finding a taxi at West End. We caught a water taxi for 50 Lempira each, and it only takes about 10 minutes to get there.

West Bay is just like any crowded beach anywhere in the world, jam packed with tourists. It didn't appeal to us, but maybe you'll go on a slow day and it wont be so bad. There were 4 ships there the day we went and we could only stomach 30 minutes b4 we fled back to the West End.

5. Re: NCL port to West Bay-cost for taxi

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:09 am, February 17, 2013
6. Re: NCL port to West Bay-cost for taxi

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 27, 2014