We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anthonys key or Mayan princess or both

Cleveland Heights...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
anthonys key or Mayan princess or both

We will be in Roatan in June. We want to dive and want easy access to the dive sites, that is why I was thinking AK. We also want to spend some time just laying on the beach relaxing. I thought Mayan Princess for this part of the trip. Any suggestions? Would you split the trip or try to do all from just one place? Any other suggestions of some place that would have all of this?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anthonys key or Mayan princess or both

I've got nothing against Anthony's... but wanting easy access to the dive sites? Well... if you look at a map of the dive sites you'll see that any place in West End, West Bay, and Sandy Bay - and most places elsewhere on the island - are only a few minutes away from excellent dive sites.

www.roatanisland.net/roatandiveguide.htm

You don't say how long you will be there. If it is 10 days or two weeks, I think splitting it on your first visit will be a good idea. Mayan Princess - or anyplace on West Bay Beach pretty much - gives you the relaxing part. I'd actually prefer something like a private unit like Savanah's Treasure (Casa de Paradise) or one of the little beach houses in "West Bay Village". A little more rustic - Fosters or Banarama, maybe. More upscale condo style... Infinity Bay. if you prefer the resort atmosphere, there are several others in addition to Mayan Princess. .. Henry Morgan, Beach Club...

You can arrange good diving from absolutely any lodging on the island. If it is beach lodging, you can typically arrange a pickup from your dock even if your place doesn't have its own dive shop. There are so many dive shops, and almost all of them are described as good to excellent by the people using them... you can simply decide where you'd like to stay and the diving will be convenient from pretty much any place.

Bonnyville, Canada
Level Contributor
644 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anthonys key or Mayan princess or both

We did a split between West Bay and AKR last year, a week at each, and there is no beach to speak of at AKR. It is a full out hard core dive resort, good basic food and accomodations. We are novice divers, which was plainly stated on our intake form, yet were put on a dive boat of semi-pros, and did not really enjoy our time as we had hoped. That said, if you are a hard core, you will love it. The only other issue was windy weather which resulted in having to take a bus to the other side of the island for dives which meant you were in for all three dives or stay home.

The Dolphin area is amazing and there are snorkel boats every day as well.

3. Re: anthonys key or Mayan princess or both

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 31, 2013