We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations for snorkellers

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendations for snorkellers

We are interested in snorkelling during our upcoming January 2013 vacation and heard that Roatan is the place to be. From all that I've read, it seems as though this area of the Carribean is meant more for divers. Can snorkellers enjoy the waters as well? Any recommendations for an area on Roatan for snorkelling off the beach (we don't like taking snorkelling tours as we suffer from motion sickness!!)? Are there any resorts better than others? We don't mind spending more for an all-inclusive we're not too adventurous when it comes to trying local restaurants. Thanks in advance for any bits of advice!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Hotel recommendations for snorkellers

cafelover, we are very similar to you and we booked Infinity Bay for the end of January/start of February. Maybe we will see you there! What part of Canada are you from? There are some good deals with selloffvacations.

canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Hotel recommendations for snorkellers

Hello Luvs

We're from the GTA and are still considering IB. We are looking into another resort that someone had suggested but it appears the we'll likely book IB (and grin and bear the potential cruise crowds that may line the beach!)

I'll look at selloffvacations, too!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
598 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Hotel recommendations for snorkellers

I really think people blow the cruise ship thing out of proportion - its busier when they are there but its not like the beach is over run and the poor folk only are there for a few hours - infact some days it's nice to have new people to watch.

canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Hotel recommendations for snorkellers

I guess that's a positive way to look at it! My husband says that on cruise days, we'll hit the beach and snorkel early, then duck out for lunch while the cruise crowd enjoy the beach. After they are gone, we'll head back to the beach and enjoy the snorkeling again!!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
598 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Hotel recommendations for snorkellers

That's what we do. Snorkel early - before things get all stirred up ans go back to IB and prepare breakfast which we enjoy at a leisurely pace - do some reading on the terrace and by the time we hit the beach the cruisers are having lunch and gathering up their things to head back to the ship. Really isn't overly busy - now Semana Santa is a whole other story - that is what I consider busy.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Hotel recommendations for snorkellers

I too agree that some folks on this forum blow the "cruiser's" on West Bay way out of proportion and I think most of these folks were going to Roatan before it was on the cruise circuit so they like to complain and poke fun at the cruisers. I stayed on West Bay Beach in 2010 and 2011. I did find many more people snorkeling on the reef in front of Inifinity Bay in 2011 as compared to 2010 and this could have been contributed to some people on cruises. Yes on days when cruises are in I would recommend making a point of doing an early morning snorkel for a more pristine snorkeling adventure in front of Infinity Bay or try some other spots less travelled to when cruise ships are in. Doing a driving tour around the island is also a must...wonderful scenery...so you can always plan this around the weather as well. I would also recommend that you stay at Infinity Bay in West Bay. It is the nicest of the AI's that is included with Sunwing or Air Transat/Nolitours. Don't stay at Media Luna...other side of the island...no where really to walk from there...whereas if you stay in West Bay you have a nice beach walk and snorkeling right at your door step.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Hotel recommendations for snorkellers

PS the food you will get with the all inclusive packages is basic and limited in Roatan...you may very well get adventurous at some point in the week as you may tire of the fare. Many of the restaurants in the area will serve exactly what you would get at a restaurant at home in Canada...i.e. Caesar Salad, etc.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Hotel recommendations for snorkellers

oops still had some comments...even though you might be staying at an all-inclusive in Roatan...it wouldn't hurt to throw some schnacks in your suitcase...normal all inclusives you wouldn't even think of doing this as there is so much food...but with the AI's in Roatan you may find you are craving a few munchies here and there. You get your basic meat, fish, veg and potatoe/rice for dinner but that is about it.

29. Re: Hotel recommendations for snorkellers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, December 14, 2013