We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing a bit of the island and snorkeling West Bay

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Seeing a bit of the island and snorkeling West Bay

We will be in Roatan for only 1 day on a cruise in December. I have read so much about fantastic snorkeling at West Bay so that is a must do for me. I have already read that the end near Infinity resort is the best access for the snorkeling and have some great aerial photos to help. Can anyone tell me whether there are public showers on the beach or does one have to book into one of the beach clubs to get a shower to rinse off? Would also likely rent a kayak while at the beach as hubby is not an enthusiastic swimmer so could kayak a bit while I hop in the water to snorkel.

Hubby and I would also like to see a bit of the island so I am wondering if people think it would be a good idea for us to rent a car on arrival in the port at Coxen Hole or better to hire a driver?

Subway Watersports
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving
Upachaya
Scuba & Snorkeling, Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Roatan Custom Tours -- Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Private Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Big French Key
Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing a bit of the island and snorkeling West Bay

Hiring a driver allows you to really see the island instead of watching for taxi's driving in your lane. It would be choice for sure.

Cheers

Bonnie

Sunny California
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing a bit of the island and snorkeling West Bay

There are many water taxis on the beach at West Bay...if you ask them and negotiate a price, they can take you out to nearby reefs for snorkeling. They usually have snorkel gear available in their boats. The reef is so close, it's a quick ride there and back. My wife and i did this and paid $15...but it was on a non cruise day, so it may be a little pricier when you're there.... Being on the island with the second largest barrier reef, going out to the reef is definitely worth it.

Not sure about Infinity, but the Mayan Princes (a short walk from Infinity) has showers available...When we were there, they let us use their beach chairs, showers and restrooms if you eat and drink at their property. Food there was excellent!

Edited: 12:34 pm, August 16, 2012
Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeing a bit of the island and snorkeling West Bay

Thanks for the replies. Sound like getting a driver could be the way to go. I believe we can do that upon arrival. Are there any specific places on the island that would be recommended to see in addition to about half a day at West Bay? I assume if one of the resorts such as Maya Princes has showers if we eat there others may too. We will definitely eat at one of the spots along West Bay beach.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeing a bit of the island and snorkeling West Bay

therisroatantours.com/rm_files/…BeachDay.htm

Theris is great. Their service was super, very punctual & professional when my daughter visited the island last March by cruise ship when we were on island.

They also offer an island tour for $40 pp.

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeing a bit of the island and snorkeling West Bay

Thanks Faithie. I'll check out their website.

6. Re: Seeing a bit of the island and snorkeling West Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 20, 2013