We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Honeymoon Trip Report - July 2012

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Second Honeymoon Trip Report - July 2012

I FINALLY got through editing my photos, so its high time I posted a trip report!

My husband and I went to Roatan from June 30th to July 8th 2012. Just the two of us, late 30's, only our 3rd or 4th trip to a location in the Caribbean.

Here is a link to my flickr Roatan set: flickr.com/photos/…

We stayed in Gibson Bight at the Parie house. In short, we really liked our location and were happy with our rental. We prefer quiet and privacy and this place fit the bill, but just a couple minutes drive to West End. I don't think they have a listing on Trip Advisor, if you would like details just PM me.

We rented a pick-up through Avis. I don't have experience with any other rentals there but I think I might try something else next time. There were some odd rules about visa vs m/c and insurance, a very high deposit (which I understand is pretty normal, but I think avis is one of the higher ones), etc. I am not saying it was bad, just would need to rent from someone else to compare.

Driving on the island wasn't bad but you need to be on your toes with the narrow roads (especially at night), and pothole avoidance is like a video game. Like others have said, check your spare at the time you pick up a rental. If you plan on being in just West bay and West end, taxis and water taxis are fine.

Activities wise, we snorkeled quite a bit. We kayaked out to the reef in Gibson bight a couple of times, it was really nice (especially if you go in the morning before the tide goes out). Clarity was pretty good, better earlier in the day. We snorkeled Sandy Bay a bit, more shallow areas and really enjoyed this. It offered a different variety of fish then we saw in other places, plus it was BUSTING with lobsters(no catching these guys, its a marine park). We snorkeled West Bay down at the farthest end the most. It was so big, you could snorkel in close, or go out to the edge, it was great. Plus the beach was fabulous so you could come in and just relax in the shade before heading out for another round.

The two things I wish we would have done, snorkel and stop up at Smugglers, and maybe a night snorkel like in half moon bay.

We were going to snorkel up by Camp Bay, but it ended up being really stormy and looked to be a lost cause. SO, we enjoyed some rum punches instead at La Sirena. Not a bad alternative!

The only tourist type places we visited were the Iguana park and the Blue Harbor Tropical Arboretum. The iguana park was okay, maybe something to stop by if you are driving in that area but I wouldn't make a long trip just for that. The iguanas were fun to watch, the turkeys stepping on the iguanas amusing, but that was about it. The monkeys were more concerned about food and water when we were there, and the fish in the water while big were meh. Go for the iguanas alone and you will be happy.

The Arboretum was nice and quiet, great place to hang out for photography with no other tourists around. I would pay for both tours if you can (Gardens and hydroponics). Being the off season and no one else there, I think we sort of got an abbreviated tour. We did walk away with a bit of fruit to take back to our rental though. Oh, and the funniest thing, they had the nicest bathrooms on our whole trip.

Food wise, it was really hit or miss. I did post reviews of most of the places we visited on Trip Advisor. Our absolute fav bar was Sundowners, hands down. Headed there a few times for an afternoon cocktail and to cool off in the water.

Food wise, Rotisserie chicken ended up being our fav on a flavor/value perspective. Many places we went one of our dishes would be great the other just so so. I think if we go to Roatan again, we would focus on the location/ambiance most of the time, food second. For example, the Thirsty Turtle with the sun setting, couple of rum punches and a really good live band playing was much better then just as a random lunch stop another day. I think we would also cook more at our rental next time.

The famous bugs. Well, they are there.

My husband who doesn't seem to react to mosquitos didn't have much of a problem. The no see-ums or sand fleas did bite him, but he did not itch too much. ME, I felt like I was ALWAYS coated in some sort of bug spray. If I missed a spot, it got hammered.

The mosquitos were more of an evening/night concern, and the others just depended on where you were. On west bay we didn't seem to have as bad of issues. We kayaked over to Sandy bay one day to eat at Blue Bahia. The 60 seconds it took to drag the kayaks up on shore and get our stuff out was enough to drive me batty. The no see ums went nuts. I am one of those really sensitive folks, I can actually feel them on me right away (and see them if I look real close). There is definitely a difference between a no see um and a sand flea.

Be careful with your shoes, beach towels and bags when you bring them in the house. We kept a lot of stuff on our porch after learning the hard way.

That being said, as long as I put something, anything, they were usually fine (I used 3m ultrathon or skin so soft with bug guard plus). And the normal over the counter anti itch spray worked wonders! Don't scratch them and break the skin and they will heal up fine.

Safety wise we did not run into any problems. We tried to be smart, but not obsessed. We did not leave anything in our vehicle, our only jewelry was our wedding rings (mine is subtle), I got the hubby a cheap wallet so he just carried around a small amount of cash and one credit card. We did not need our ID or passports anywhere we went. We don't stay out late in general, so we did not feel unsafe, but again, we tried to not put ourselves in any bad situation.

Lastly, the weather. It rained a few times while we were there, but I think all but once or twice it happened in the middle of the night. The day rains were usually short lived. If there was a nice breeze the heat wasn't bad at all. We had A/C in our rental but we did not use it. A fan and open windows was all we needed (our house sat up a bit so we got decent airflow). It did get pretty warm in the afternoons, best option is to just hang out in the water. The sun is intense, but as long as we wore sunscreen we had no problems. We used long sleeve UV shirts for snorkeling usually and that was nice (just REI polyester shirts rather then buy special rash guards).

All in all, we REALLY enjoyed our trip. It was probably more tropical jungle then I expected, but thats probably more because I haven't been to any islands with that feel before. It almost felt like we were camping with all the lizards in the house, bats in the deck rafters, interesting bathrooms at some of the restaurants, and of course the bugs. But for us, this was perfect. We are NOT the all inclusive type tourists. If we returned or had stayed longer we would spend more time diving and taking boat trips out other islands, but the relaxed snorkel beach time worked out great for this trip.

PHEW, sorry, long winded but I wanted to cover all the things that I spent a lot of time researching before I went.

Any questions feel free to ask!

Subway Watersports
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving
Upachaya
Scuba & Snorkeling, Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Roatan Custom Tours -- Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Private Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Big French Key
Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second Honeymoon Trip Report - July 2012

OK that shot of the angel fish is a queen angel fish, prettiest thing in the sea. Before we set out to try to ID all the fish, I want to say that your shot of The Wall is one of the most inviting water shots I have ever seen. It really captures the clarity and the beauty of that welcoming water. Excellent photos.

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second Honeymoon Trip Report - July 2012

Thank you. I really enjoyed that area a lot....it will be a sad day when that resort there opens on Tabayana (sp?) beach.

The queen angel fish was one of those that wasn't afraid of me, but was busy feeding so my only other shorts are of it's yellow tail as it worked its way down a ridge.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
655 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second Honeymoon Trip Report - July 2012

Wonderful photos. Your comments are very good as well ! Nice report !

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Second Honeymoon Trip Report - July 2012

Nice photos. How do you like the Canon D20? I've had two D10 flood and I am now using an Olympus, but not thrilled with the image quality. Considering trying the D20 or the Nikon AW100 and have been hunting for actual snorkeling pictures from them, so thanks for sharing..

Edited: 9:10 pm, August 01, 2012
Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Second Honeymoon Trip Report - July 2012

Testudo, I was REALLY reluctant to buy an UW camera after not feeling confident of any brand (like you mentioned). SO, I rented the D20 and paid for the damage waiver (not real cheap, but since we go on trips so rarely it made more sense).

I do have to admit that twice the D20 had some heavy condensation pop up on the LED screen like it wasn't sealing. I immediately stopped using it, opened the doors to dry out, made sure all the rubber seals were free of sand, and it appeared fine at next use. I was really careful with it (prep before heading out, fresh water soaks, etc). Pretty sure the condensation was a leak as it only happened right as I was entering the water. I don't know if someone abused the camera before me though.

Photo quality, I thought most of the general outdoor shots were good. Focus wasn't frustrating. I did not really use it indoors or with a flash. I liked being able to take ONE camera to the beach though. Underwater clarity was hit or miss (keeping in mind I have never used an UW camera before). I tested the UW settings versus not, I did like the red color boost. I really had trouble finding my groove with the macro UW setting (forgot to bring the manual, oops). I learned to take LOTS of shots because it really was hit or miss if you focused on the right thing. I don't know how much of that is camera versus just UW photo challenges. Battery life was pretty good, buttons were pretty easy to use UW.

I used the video option a lot and I thought it did a good job there. Outside of the water it was pretty comparable to the Canon Elph 300 HS I usually use (which is saying something). Underwater it was well focused and clear, but shaky. I blame that more on operator, its just plain hard to hold a camera steady while bobbing on the surface. I will link up some of the video when I get it uploaded.

I am interested to watch the reviews and pics from the new Olympus Tough TG 1. An f2.0 lens will be great UW, optional telephoto lens as well. I just have trouble spending 300 plus on any camera unless it really wows me and I can use it often.

Sunny California
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second Honeymoon Trip Report - July 2012

great report...I agree with the Iguana Park, I thought it was kinda small and not too much to see. Love the picture of the flying parrots!...

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Second Honeymoon Trip Report - July 2012

Peaceflmeadow,

Thanks for the camera critique/feedback. As I am UW a lot taking pictures I think I may have to pause on the D20. My cameras get plenty of abuse!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Second Honeymoon Trip Report - July 2012

Thanks for the trip report. I really liked your photos. I agree with your philosophy of taking lots of pictures because you can never tell exactly what you'll get. When we were there last time we rented a house. The garbage cans were under the house. The first night I went to take out the garbage I opened the door and I heard all this noise and I could faintly make out shapes and movement. It scared the s*** out of me until I got the flashlight on them and I saw it was land crabs. We go back in 29 days, 3 hours and 18 minutes.

Morehead, Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Second Honeymoon Trip Report - July 2012

Thanks for sharing these...I'm jealous of your snorkeling and underwater photos. We swam out from Sandy Bay at Hobbies Hideaway one day but it was a haul and the water was fairly choppy but otherwise only snorkeled at West Bay and Smuggler's, and then once at Turtle Crossing from a Coconut Tree dive trip.

You have inspired me to post a few photos, and as you can tell, we were lazier in our photo taking and more focused on recording landscape and hedonism!!

Here ya go (descriptions at the bottom of the photos in the "sets": flickr.com/photos/candjtogetherroatan/sets/

Edited: 9:33 pm, August 03, 2012
Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Second Honeymoon Trip Report - July 2012

cmwrig, I love your photos. A different spin on the traditional vaca shots!