We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica to Roatan?

Scottsdale Arizona
5 posts
Save Topic
Costa Rica to Roatan?

We are spending 5 days in Costa Rica (Peace Lodge, highly recommended!!!!) at the end of April, but would like to spend 2-3 days on Roatan so we can dive with the dolphins. We were there on a cruise in November and signed up, suited up, met the dolphins and went out to the dive site. We waited for them on the bottom for about 10 minutes and then just explored the local area (still a great dive). The dive master later told us that the dolphins had apparently sensed something they didn't like in the water and high-tailed it home (they didn't charge a dime for the dive, either). But I was so close and have always wanted to dive with dolphins, so we're trying to squeeze it into this trip. Trouble is, it's really expense to fly from Costa Rica to Roatan. Anybody know of a reasonable method of ground transportation. Or should we just bite the bullet and fly? I know this is way more information than necessary, but it's really important to us to do this.

Montgomery Alabama
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica to Roatan?

Have you looked on a map lately? This post must be a joke if you really think you could do this in your timeframe with ground transportation and then get on the ferry to Roatan.

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica to Roatan?

Norty -

If travel time is not a factor you may want to check out Tica Bus (at http://www.ticabus.com/index.php ). It is the only carrier of which I am aware that can get your overland all the way from Costa Rica to Honduras. It will be a long ride. Once you reach Tegucigalpa, the capital of Honduras, you have only another six hours of road time, plus transfers, and you'll be in La Ceiba. In country we recommend the Hedman Alas Bus Line (you can find them at http://www.hedmanalas.com/index.htm) but you can stick with Tica Bus to San Pedro Sula as well.

You can fly in country to Roatán from Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula or La Ceiba (still not cheap) or ferry from La Ceiba at about $15 US a head each way.

Have fun!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

Regina, Saskatchewan
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica to Roatan?

I travelled from Costa Rica to the Bay Islands in March 2005. It wasn't as easy as I thought. We couldn't even find a decently priced flight that arrived the same day. What we did was fly Taca from San Jose to San Salvador where we then had a connection to San Pedro Sula. We had to stay overnight in San Pedro and left early the next morning to La Cieba and then caught a connector to Roatan. This was still the fastest way to get there. It cost us about $300USD.

Hope this helps.

Ali

Scottsdale Arizona
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica to Roatan?

Thanks to all for the very helpful info. Now I know what I have to work with and can figure out how much additional time to take off. You "guys" are great. Sounds like an adventure any way you play it. Wish me luck!

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica to Roatan?

Costa Rica to Roatan will take a fair amount of time, planning and luck. If your schedule is limited you may want to re think the idea

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rica to Roatan?

hi we're also spending some days in costa rica then flying off to roatan (the only option for us travelling with two young kids). i would also love to swim with dolphins and can't think of many things i'd rather do..., BUT if you read between the lines and do a bit of research on internet, you'll soon discover that anthony's key resort is an amusement park really. so those wonderful dolphins you get to dive or snorkel with would definately rather be somewhere else - of course they will interact with humans because they are so intelligent and sociable, but the reality is that most will have ended up there from far away after been torn away from their families and social groups. personally, what i will do is to go and scuba dive in the open sea, and hope for a natural dolphin encounter, like the ones i had in the red sea and in the mauritius, which were truly special.

7. Re: Costa Rica to Roatan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, August 26, 2009