We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time on Roatan. Need advice

la paz bolivia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time on Roatan. Need advice

Hi my wife and I want to visit Roatan. We can only stay two days. We want beach, snorkling and relax. Questions:

1.- Which one is the best place to stay? (Las Rocas, Inn of Last Resort or Luna Beach Resort?

2.- Is it possible to take quick diving lessons and do some scuba diving in such a short time?

3.- How you get there from Tegucigalpa?What aerline?what airport you get to?, can take a bus? Whats the distance from Tegu?

4.- Is Guanaja better?

5.-Any other advice is welcome?

thanks jaime

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time on Roatan. Need advice

Jaime.

1. I have eaten at Las Rocas..its on West Bay.and thats probably the best beach to visit there.

2. In belize i went scuba diving for the first time. I watched like 30 minutes or 1 hour of a video then went to the ocean..depth of like 5 feet. We practiced there for like 10-15 minutes and then we went into the reefs of a good length of time..the depth was no more than 30 feet or so. It was an amazing experience..im assuming the same would happen in roatan.

3. From Tegucigalpa you can take the hedman alas bus www.hedmanalas.com to the city of La Ceiba. From there you can take a ferry or fly to roatan. Or you can fly from Tegucigalpa to Rotan with www.taca.com or www.flyislena.com the flight is i think 1 hour. via bus will take around 4-5 hours i guess..check the schedule.

4. Roatan is the more developed island..also alittle more expensive. The islands have less options and little more rustic.. but still a great time..

hope this helps alittle

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time on Roatan. Need advice

Jaime -

You will kill a full day if you opt to bus out of Tegucigalpa.

It is more expensive but check with the local airlines at the Tegucigalpa airport (Islena, Atlantic and Sosa) for flight options.

Islena is the only one with a posted itenerary which you will find on the web at http://www.flyislena.com/.

Have a great trip!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

San Francisco
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First time on Roatan. Need advice

I stayed at Las Rocas and loved it. It is just a few steps from West Bay beach, the best beach on the island, and a short (fun!) boat taxi ride into town - or a 30 minute walk along the beach.

We took a boat taxi ($2pp) into town each night for dinner and then took a land taxi ($10) back to Las Rocas as the boat taxis usually don't run after dark.

The town is pretty crowded and we were so glad to get back to quiet, peaceful Las Rocas at the end of the day.

If you stay there, try and get one of the single story cabins as they are roomier than the double decker ones.

They have a dive shop right there at Las Rocas, and I am sure you could just pay for one or two dives - why don't you email them?

Have a great time!