We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dune Buggy tours

emjaty
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dune Buggy tours

I noticed there is a new Dune Buggy tour available (sts-honduras) since we were there last. We usually spend our days diving but this looks like something my teenagers would like. Has anyone gone on any of these tours/rentals? If so, are they worth it? there's only a few reviews posted.

San Pedro Sula...
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Dune Buggy tours

Hey everybody,

Buggy Tour at Roatan is performed throughout Central Area of the island, partly in public - but really low traffic (perhaps you can find 3-4 cars during all round) because lack of more road infrastructure at the island, but also through private properties (dirt pathways, bumpy or muddy hills, and sandy lands). It is a totally guided tour, leaded by one guide at the front side of the caravan,and one or two supporting staffers at the end of the caravan.

You cannot go away or even overpass to other buggy during trails, there are not speed or racing gokarts, they are for OFFROADS. Actually in winter or rainy season, there is a flat land in a private property where you are allowed to make fun driving, getting tons of water and mud during it, always checked out by Tour Operator's staffers, who also take pictures and videos of your driving experience.

It is recommended that TEENS always go accompanied by an adult to be allowed to drive, and only in specific areas, not all round. It is a key item to follow instructions about safe driving which are provided at the beginning of the tour in a theoretical and practical way, so everybody must know what, when and how to do driving.

Springfield...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Dune Buggy tours

We went in November and I have posted a review. We had the best time! Very good value for the money. We felt safe,and I drove one myself without any experience before. Hands down the best tour we booked on our cruise ! Hector will take care of your family. We plan on bringing our kids next trip.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dune Buggy tours

Booked a dune buggy tour thru Hector / STS he says they do not currently go to Camp Bay or La Sirena but hope to in the future. Tour is supposed to last "a couple of hours". I'll post details on how it went in 3 weeks when I get back.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dune Buggy tours

We did the Buggy Tour last week and had a great time. They are not currently offering a trip to Camp Bay. The cost was $70 US per person if you got yourself there or $80 if they had to pick you up. We were only on the main road for about 200 feet to get to the first trail then it was all off road from there. Took us to an open field with mud and puddles to play in and boy did we get dirty. It was like being a kid again and getting to play in the mud without mom saying to stay clean. Then on to a private beach to clean up in the ocean and have snacks before returning to the beginning. The time in the buggy was about 2 hours but you can stop at the beach and relax for as long as you want in the middle.

Suffolk, Virginia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Dune Buggy tours

Just returned from a Western Caribbean cruise on the Norwegian Star. We booked the Dune Buggie Off Road Island Tour through Island Marketing 2/28/12 and it was a blast. Three of us were on this excursion (all over the age of 50 but acting like teenagers). Hector met us at the pier and quickly drove us through town to his place of business. After a quick overview of the dune buggies and a test run around his building we were off. We only drove on the main city road a very short distance before turning off onto dirt roads where the adventure began. During the excursion I don't believe we passed any other vehicles once we were off the main road. Due entirely to operator error one of our buggies had a mechanical failure however Hector quickly called for a backup and a new buggie was delivered in less than 20 mins. Luckily we were stopped at a great overlook of the coastline and the time passed quickly as we talked about Roatan life with Hector. Once we were off again we had a wonderful time. Hector took us to a location where we were free to really test our engines and splash in lots of water and mud! Be sure to wear clothes you don't mind throwing away and don't bring any items that are not waterproof....they will get wet and dirty! When we were finished there we stopped at a beautiful deserted beach. Crystal blue waters felt like bathwater. Looking in either direction you saw no people no houses just beautiful Roatan coastline. Hector delivered a cooler of bottled water and some snacks for our enjoyment and then left us to enjoy some relaxing time. After about an hour we were back on our buggies and riding through the thick green jungle. We drove through some small villages off the beaten pass and it was neat to be able to see how the people of Roatan live away from the cruise terminal. The entire tour was about 5 hours long....we got back to the ship in time to shower and go out and stroll an hour or so on in the port pier shops. We were quite the sight walking back to the ship in our mud stained clothes but we had big smiles on our faces and everyone especially the crew wanted to know where we had been so they could give it a try sometime. And to make the adventure even more memorable, Hector takes photos and videos of you throughout the tour and sends them for your viewing via email. I would highly recommend this excursion to the adventurous traveler. If you don't like getting dirty this IS NOT for you. I was washing gobs of mud out of my ears for 10 mins. But I was standing in the crystal blue caribbean water so I had no complaints.

Eagle, Idaho
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Dune Buggy tours

who did you book your tour with, we are going there in three weeks with large family! Need 9 buggies

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Dune Buggy tours

Here is the end of an email from Hector at STS about how to reach him. He was great.

Contacting us is very easy, just call us to 504 9949 6929 or my Assistant ANA 504 9990 1327 during the week, or chat with us to sts.roatan@gmail.com / sts.roatan2@gmail.com .

Best regards,

HECTOR / STS

ROATAN

Quebec City, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Dune Buggy tours

We lost a memory card SD with our photos from Honduras roatan. On these photos you can see five persons making dune buggy.

If you find this, please send it to us.

André

andre.rioux@videotron.ca

Roatan
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Dune Buggy tours

Hi there - The buggy tour is Sandblasters. STS has been out of business for almost a year. You can email me at info@roatanjmjtours.com for more info.

20. Re: Dune Buggy tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, April 23, 2014