We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new storm forming

dallas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
new storm forming

Might be time to button down the hatches. A big storm may be forming. It s looks alot like how Mitch started. Lets hope it doesn t have much punch. I was on the island during Mitch and it wasn t much fun. This is a good time to make preperation and if nothing happens ( oh well) good luck to every one on Roatan.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: new storm forming

Hey Everyone, I was busy getting ready for the big storm, that didn't happen.

I do understand peoples concern when a storm looks like it is tracking right over Roatan. I admit that even after more than 3 years of near misses, I still wonder if the next one is the one that will actually hit. Fortunately, for some reason, Roatan is spared. I worry more about the mainland and how much damage it does to people with severely limited resources.

Something I've never seen before this go around. Roatan has an emergency committee! This was posted on our Roatan chat group. The drive restrictions were cancelled as soon as it was obvious there would no problems with Mathew.

"The COPECO (Prevention, Emergencies & Contingencies Commission) has declared RED ALERT to 6 states of Honduras including the Bay Islands.

2. We remind all citizens to take all precautions necessary specially at night time from today Friday, September 24th until the early hours of Saturday, Sept. 25th where TS Matthew will be the closest to the Island of Roatan with torrential rains.

3. We remind all citizens that all vehicular traffic is restricted from 10:00pm today until 6:00pm of Saturday, Sept. 25th. ONLY EMERGENCY VEHICLES will be allowed on the roads. Please abstain from driving around the island during that time.

4. If anyone believes that from now is in a zone of high-risk because of location or due to housing condition, must have the duty to communicate with its PATRONATO to be attended by the CODEM (Municipal Emergency Committee) by calling 445-1972; 445-1198 or at 9862-9143 or at 445-0430; 9939-5402."

Roatan, September 24th, 2010 at 4:00PM

COE

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
291 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: new storm forming

Glad to hear that all is well on Roatan! I second Idiot He that for some of us, this is a great place to catch wind whether a storm has hit or not. Unfortunately, the news here in the States just say that Honduras is getting a soaking, doesn't exactly tell us more details like the Bay Islands are spared again. Growing up in Florida, I know firsthand all the questions that go into whether or not a storm is actually going to hit or not.

Whoever has the good luck charm for Roatan, please keep it handy!

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
The Bay
The Bay
375 Reviews
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: new storm forming

I guess a lot here never heard of Roatan or do not recall the consequences when a Major hurricane did hit the area. Mitch, in 1998 hurt Guanaja hard and then flooding killed tens of thousands on the mainland BUT it was the inaccurate media coverage and panic that ruined the entire bay islands tourism industry for years. I make no money off my place, i bought it because i like being in a local island community and not a gringo hotspot, One guy recently suggested I sugarcoat things for tourism, Anyone following the board knows how silly a statement that is. That said, Even during hurricane mitch ( google it for you newcommers ), We lost a few roof shingles. Many places with minimal damage had to close shop, On Guanaja, one of the lead resorts trying to help never recovered and shut down. It is the whole sky is or may be falling thing that becomes an issue. AKR actually evacuated some folks. Had this happened before all these informative folks on the internet came along we would have seen that Delta or Continental did not cancel flights, all folks made it to the island as expected and are now diving or at least on a surface interval.

Rain falls regularly, that does not mean the sky is falling. If someone has been getting ready for the storm for days then so be it, Most i know just watched local news which is channel 9 and 27 on Roatan. The international stuff gets very clouded at times. During storms in the past they have even talked about Roatan while showing news video from the mainland simply for sensationalism. Kind of like the newsfolks looking for a storm that appear to be fighting the hard rains and wind while an elderly couple inadvertantly walks past in the background with an umbrella intact

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: new storm forming

THANKS BHG!!! As for your very vocal "Critics", maybe once they stop just visiting Roatan occasionaly and have the knowledge you have spent years and Dollars obtaining....mmmmnn maybe I will be inclined to value their posts...in the meantime, you and Genn are invaluable. Please ignore the rude and uninformed attacks,

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
35. Re: new storm forming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:05 am, September 27, 2010
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: new storm forming

I just want to congratulate our little forum community - this committed "Band of Bathers" - the storm affected Roatan for what... maybe four hours... and we've kept this post going for four days!

Go back and read it from the beginning... all the ups and downs of a good novel.

Characters come, characters go. An external challenge becomes internalized, the struggle with nature soon becomes less important the the struggle with human nature...

I laughted, I cried... I was amazed and I was humbled.

I'm working on a screenplay... Sure... you can say that all that happened is there was a storm warning, we watched it, talked about it, and then it mostly missed the island. But you could also say "Santiago caught a fish but by the time he got it home the sharks ate it all up" and look at the mileage Hemingway got out of theat!

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: new storm forming

Amen, idiotsabroad! very well said. Can I be in the movie?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: new storm forming

Please let Genny and all of the "rescues" star! ; > )

39. Re: new storm forming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:07 pm, October 04, 2010
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: new storm forming

Absolutely - definitely in the movie!