We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the best diving spots?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What are the best diving spots?

Where are some great diving spots in Roatan? I really want to see a whale shark, but know it doesn't always happen... Who should I ask once I get there??

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the best diving spots?

Whale sharks are most often seen off Utila and there it is no sure thing, springtime is best. If you correlate Pelagics with the best diving the the Bay islands in general are not the best unless you are one of the lucky ones who sees the big shark.

If you really want to see a whale shark then Galapagos or some other destination is better suited but for the best chance in the bay Islands you shoul;d contact some Utila Dive ops and find out best time to visit.

I have seen them offshore when i was upstairs at my home but not in water with them around Roatan

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the best diving spots?

In my opinion, the best diving spots in Roatan are on the South and North shores.....right where the reef is at which is where all the whale sharks hang out and have coffee. And my apologies for being so sarcastic.....if you want to know where the whale sharks are at, you have to ask a whale shark.....and they ain't telling. Seriously though, there are several great diving spots all around the entire island of Roatan, as well as the other Bay Islands (i.e. Utila, Guanaja, Cayos Cachinos etc). If you haven't been to Roatan before, you will be quite pleased with the underwater view.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the best diving spots?

Utila is where you'll need to go for whale sharks. They've been seen there every month for the last two years.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the best diving spots?

Of course Divenuts this is true, They have been spotted by someone somewhere but it is the percentage of divers swimming with them I was refering to in the previous post

Edited: 8:00 am, August 06, 2010
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the best diving spots?

It sounds from your post that you equate good diving with seeing a whale shark. Personally I think that R is great because of the density of fish and coral everywhere along the reefs, south and north. I especially love the swim thrus and caves at a lot of sites. The harsh reality is that usually you go where the boat goes, and the boat thinks that divers love wrecks. And they love the sites that are closest to their shop.

Search on a page that lists the named sites. The "best" tend to be those rated advanced, though many of the best ever dives I've had in shallow water atop the reef.

Where are you staying? If at West End, you have a lot of shop to choose from.

6. Re: What are the best diving spots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 03, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Roatan