We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs / Kids - Can the co-exist peacefully on Roatan?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mountain View, CA
2 posts
Save Topic
Bugs / Kids - Can the co-exist peacefully on Roatan?

Hi,

We're a family of four. My wife and I are seasoned travelers and are familiar with all that comes with a tropical vacation (heat, humidity, and sometimes - bugs.)

However, this will be our first trip with our two little kids to the tropics and we're a little concerned with the alleged "bug problem" on Roatan.

Would love to hear from anyone who's been there with kids (ours will be 3 and 18 months) and what your experience was like. Especially, the bug challenge... Was it manageable? Did Cactus Juice work as prescribed and keep the no see-ums at bay? etc.

Thanks,

Kevin in Mountain View, CA

Montgomery Alabama
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs / Kids - Can the co-exist peacefully on Roatan?

Cactus juice works for some, just as deet and other repellants work for others. The problem you will have is that no matter what bug juice you try, kids will want to play in the water, if repellant is not re applied religiously, they will probably get eaten up prety good, they are "sand flies" they wil get you on the beach as soon as any deterrant has been washed off.

I dont really think however that they are much worse than many places in the southern US.

If anyplace tells you they do not have bugs at their beach on Roatan they are either lying or using chemicals that would probably require a HAZMAT suit in the US.