We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

motorcycle vs car

Durham, North...
3 posts
Save Topic
motorcycle vs car

My original plan was to rent a motorcycle for the week, however my research has given me conflicting opinions.

I am a motorcycle owner with a moderate to above average skill level.

Some people say this is a great way to see the island, and have nothing bad to report. Others (including the owner of the house that I renting) advise against it.

I'm looking for more opinions and experiences from forum members. What do you think? Is motorcycle riding on Roatan suicide?

Thanks in advance!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,667 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: motorcycle vs car

Owner of a dive shop mentioned that the rental places make more money with repairing motorbikes than renting them

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: motorcycle vs car

Of course it is up to you to make the decision. But remember, it doesn't matter how good or experienced you are when someone else may do something rediculous and cause a wreck. There can certainly be problems with cars, walking, diving or just abbout anything else but being an experienced rider i am sure you understand the added risk.

In my Opinion, and not to be taken as must or must not advice, but simply my opinion. I would not plan much if any motorcyle travel on the island. I have ridden in the US for over twenty years, currently have a nice original Honda VFR and Kawasaki KLR in the garage but have never considered bringing either to the island. My next toy will be a 4x4 side by side for use on my property and maybe a quick trip to Coxen hole.

You must consider, There is basically no drivers test for a license on Roatan other than an eye test, there is no vehicle safety inspections done, there are little if any traffic laws enforced, If you drive slower than the guy behind you he may pass on a blind corner going up or down hill, If you drive fast you may come accross people walking in the middle of the road, Taxi's stopping to chat who may not have working brake lights, cows, horses, dogs and other things, But perhapse the biggest concern should be the lack of any emergency trauma department as you are probably used to. There are some good doctors but don't expect anything like you probably have near yor home. There is no lifeflight chopper, the ambulance works sometimes, best hope they have gas.

As I mentioned previously, this is why I choose not to ride the roads on 2 wheels but in the end its totally up to you. Make sure if you do rent one that you inspect it very closely, there is no mandated and enforced qality control. Helmets are also the law although many don't follow it and out of those that do most wear the dimestore beanies that they sell on the streets of Daytona or similar so if you count on a quality helmet you should bring one.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: motorcycle vs car

If you like riding motorcyles.. go ahead and do it. We stayed for a week and rented scooters plus 2 others in our party brought their motorcycles all the way from Guatemala. ( Ninja and a dirt bike)

It was fun.. we explored much more the of island...crusied from West Bay to West End every night....we also had the flexibility to go different ways and not be limited to just one rental car...

Are the roads crappy..yes......bad drivers...sure.... but was fun and enjoyed it...

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: motorcycle vs car

I am with the "do it" people.

I drive both a car and a scooter down here, on any given day you can come around a blind curve to find dogs, cats, horses, children, trees, puddles or I had to stop for a drunk guy standing the the middle of the road in Sandy Bay.

As long as you are paying attention to EVERYTHING around you and do not rely on any of the other drivers to keep something horrible from happening you will be fine.

Besides the worst of the road traffic is between West End and Coxen hole, once you get past the airport you will have not a worry in the world.

by the by ~ I am a single female and have no concerns about riding a scooter here.

okiedokiesmokie
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: motorcycle vs car

Here is an interesting article on Scooter and motorcyles. http://www.bayislandsvoice.com/issue-v4-4.htm

Durham, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: motorcycle vs car

Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm taking this trip to relax and recharge. Serious injury, or death is not on my itinerary.

Just to be "safe" I've reserved a car

Can't wait! 13 days before I leave (it's going really slow)

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: motorcycle vs car

Although we were in a small manual transmission car (tin can) and not a scooter, we didn't find the driving on Roatan all that daunting. Maybe it's because we are from Houston with tons of crazy traffic. Keep alert and you will be ok.

8. Re: motorcycle vs car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, October 15, 2009