We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diver for the day?

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diver for the day?

I've never Scuba Dived (ie. no certification whatsoever) but would love to try it in Roatan.

Are there any scuba options where you can go on a dive in the open water without having to get certified or spend 8 hours in a pool before you go out? I want to try scuba at least just once but don't want to spend my vacation in a classroom or pool learning. Ideally I would be able to get a few instructions in 2 hours or so then go on a dive.

Is this possible?

Massachusetts
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Diver for the day?

There are many dive operators in Roatan that offer Discover Scuba courses. The cost is typically about $100...you spend a few hours learning the basics then head out for some fun diving!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Diver for the day?

"Resort scuba" courses are widely offered all over the world. Most are offered for free with the condition that they'll take you out if you pay. There is a minimum of vital information that must be passed on to you, in addition to a familiarization with the equipment, so that you don't kill yourself. A lot of people seem to think that scuba is merely deeper snorkeling, and resort courses that I have seen gloss over the danger of breathing compressed air. As it is, resort divers tend to be so overwhelmed with dealing with the gear that they pay little heed to the dangers involved. If you want to dive and live to tell about it, you will need to put in a couple of hours and pay attention. My best suggestion, if you are going to Roatan (one of the loveliest cheapest places in the world to scuba), is to get certified before you go, or to at least take the instructional part of a certification course at home and then finish your cert dives in Roatan, and then you'll be free to dive all you want.

If you insist on spending your money on resort scuba instead of a full certification, you can google any of the dive operators in Roatan.

Beaverton
Level Contributor
53 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Diver for the day?

I agree with the prior response. My wife and I tried a resort dive in Maui and loved it, then we took some classes over the internet, took an afternoon to do the pool session with a dive master, took a test- all while stateside, so we didn't have to waste our dream vacation in a classroom; and then we took our open water test dives in Cozumel. I highly recommend this route if you are interested in diving. I hate wasting paradise, especially if I can take of the less exciting essentials/basics stateside. Enjoy.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba Diver for the day?

I know you talk about trying it once, but I did my entire course in Acapulco, Mexico and it didn't eat that much of the trip. The way they did it was we did some classroom first thing in the morning and all our confined water actually in the ocean (shallow / maybe 20 feet sandy bottom)and our book work in the afternoons. We were usually out of the water and back at the resort by 2:00. That left plenty of time for laying out and drinking. LOL.

My son did his certification on Roatan last year and they let him "try it out" on day one of his open water certification. Of course, he kept going. He did similar to me: class in the morning, then all water training in the ocean (shallow/maybe 20 feet) and was usually back by 1:30. Did some homework but not overwhelming. He was in the water on Day 1, by the way....

A few days in and you are open water diving off the boat with others. I was able to dive with him within a few days.

Most dive shops know that you may sign up for open water and then be unable to complete it (you hate it, you freak out) and will work with you. I had a friend try it and she totally was incapable of it due to unforeseen issues with clausterphobia.

I didn't think that taking the whole open water class on vacation was a big deal. I think there is an advantage to doing it the way we did over pool training at home because ALL your training is in the ocean (at least where we got certified). Being in a swimming pool and being in the ocean are two completely different sensations for sure.

seattle
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba Diver for the day?

To answer your question, yes it is possible.

The reason most shops and resorts offer a "resort" dive is there is alot of people just like Brian who want to try scuba before committing to the time and money it takes to get certified. A resort dive is a great way to find out if you are suited to diving. Tupically you will have an hour or so of safety and gear instruction, a quick dip in the pool or real shallow water then out to dive with a divemaster, always in a spot with a consistent shallow bottom, usually 20-30 ft deep, 40' max. You will not "kill yourself" and yes, you will live to tell about it, and more than likely will be so unbelievably stoked you will get your certification and be hooked for life like so many others.

Also, most shops will apply most of the money you already spent should you choose to continue and get your card. Divers come from all over the world to enjoy Roatan, you could not have picked a better place.

6. Re: Scuba Diver for the day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, October 21, 2009