We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need a dive shop recommendation

new jersey
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
need a dive shop recommendation

My sister and her friend are planning a trip to Roatan (their first) to go diving. They definitely want a whale shark dive. does anyone know of a good dive shop that will take them to see whale sharks?

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: need a dive shop recommendation

The Galapagos aggressor has a very good record with seeing whale sharks in june and July/ As far as Roatan and or Utila I would say there is a decent chance at the right time of year but would never ever count on it or plan a trip around whale sharks. There are many other places with a much better percentage

st. paul, mn
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: need a dive shop recommendation

i dove in roatan. i loved it. i went through coconut tree divers. they were good. good location. but if i ever dove again i think i would stick with my same teacher...he is really good and i felt really safe. he is from chicago and in his late 20's. he's been teaching for several years. i can get you his info on his new dive shop if you are interested. just write me privately...

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: need a dive shop recommendation

Really would depend on what part of the island you are staying on as to what dive shop would be a good fit as location in proximity to your accomodations plays a big part in most people's choice in a dive shop. Let us know where you are staying and we can try to narrow it down further. As far as whale sharks, I echo what blue house stated, and would add that whale shark's are not kept on a leash or in a cage so anyone that guarantees you that type of thing isn't giving you the complete truth...all you can do is go to the right TYPES of locations at the right time of the year and hope you happen to get lucky for the time you are blowing bubbles. Enjoy your trip.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
616 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need a dive shop recommendation

deedolly- well in Roatan there is virtually no chance to see a whale shark. You would have to go to another island about 26 mi off Roatan Utila to see them. They are there during may and need to look at the dive sites there for sightings. Utila Dive Center - http://www.utiladivecentre.com/index.htm

Look at the bottom for this month's whale sightings.

I am a very experienced diver, I just got back from Roatan.

I dive with Bananarama Dive Resort (Mel,Sophie,Marco) in the West Bay. This is the better beach. Very experienced and safety conscious and do a great job working with new certified divers and instruction to certify people. I dive with them since I know them they are accommodating with the dive scheduling and take you to the good dives you want to do, and all the DM's are very experienced and attentive, and all the dives are very reasonable priced.

I dove with people from Coconut Divers - West End in Cayos Cochinos. I dove with Greg and feel confident in his abilities and he as well is a good diver and would have no problem recommending them as well.

There is a "shark dive" you can do there with large reef sharks I did that last time and loved it but did not do it this visit. It is kinda staged, a great way to get close to the sharks and a great experience. I would recommend doing that. You can see videos shark dive Roatan on youtube.

Hope that helps...

5. Re: need a dive shop recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 20, 2009