We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing Tackle

New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Fishing Tackle

We will be bring our own travel rods with us(wife and me)to do some fishing from our dock. My question is what type of fishing tackle would I be needing for the fish there? Lures? Size of hooks? sinkers? line? bait?

Also if there is a takles shop nearby (sandy bay)

that I can purchase these things there instead of bringing them with me. Any info would be great! We will be in Roatan from Feb. 14th to March 7th Can't wait!!!

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing Tackle

Other than live or frsh bait your really best just to bring it with you. If you simply put it in checked bags there is no issue with TSA and you have what you want. If weight is an issue you could even pack the lead in carry on which is almost never weighed. Why take the chance?

Many if not the majority of Roatan true locals still simply wrap line around a plastic soda bottle and fling it out there with a big nail as a weight. There are some higher end people with charters but dont expect tackle shops as you might find in Bimini or other popular area.

Horsham, Pa.
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing Tackle

Capemaychef - (Have I seen you on one of the "striper boards" ??? Anyway, we were there 2 years ago, stayed in W.End - I didn't bring any gear with me, NATURALLY there were schools of AT LEAST 50 bonefish around our beach every single day we were there - and I would venture a guess that most were WELL over 5lbs. - I was able to drift up on them every day with snorkel gear, watching them root around in the sand. Really cool stuff - I would imagine you could get 'em with artificials - some kind of shrimp or crab imitation

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing Tackle

West End is part of the preserve, I would question any fishing reccomendations, especially for non local residents.

Horsham, Pa.
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing Tackle

I'm sorry - inadvertantly wrote West end - we stayed at West beach

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing Tackle

We brought our travel rods as well, when we stayed at Fantasy island.

We brought lures etc with us but could have left that at home - used mostly shrimp that we got from the cook.

Have fun!

6. Re: Fishing Tackle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, October 16, 2009