We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where else on Roatan?

oshkosh
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where else on Roatan?

We will be in Roatan feb 10-17. The last few years we've been to St.John several times and also Bonaire.I know there are alot of differences, but in reading through the posts, I don't find much about snorkeling except around West Bay-West End.Are there other acessible(hiking or driving) snorkeling spots along the north, east or southern shores of the island? We will have a 4x4 and will be staying near Jonesville Bight. We're not afraid to do some rock scrambling.Also wondering if the coastal real-estate is mostly public or private? Appreciate any help.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where else on Roatan?

Most of the lands are privately owned which makes shore diving and snorkeling tricky. You would probably be best asking those involved in your accomodations as if anyone should know whats available you would think they would.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where else on Roatan?

A lot of good snorkeling just over the edge of the reef by boat. I know where we are staying you can jump on the (small) dive boat and go out on some of the dives for good snorkeling or have the boat take you out to the reef (like a 5 minute boat ride) for very little money. Try Barefoot Divers at Barefoot Cay - you can park your 4x4 right at the boat and hop on. They have a website.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where else on Roatan?

TXT, There is great snorkeling all over Roatan with almost all those that operate a boat to get to it yet that did not seem to be the question. What does Barefoot cay charge for snorkeling?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where else on Roatan?

Try BIBR.Com (Spooky Channel)

Go Thursday, snorkel, lunch, and stay for their famous Pig BBQ

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where else on Roatan?

Snowmaster: You might also want to check with Reef House Resort in Oak Ridge, or Subway Watersports out of Turquoise Bay. They are both a fairly short drive from Jonesville and offer 1/2 day trips or full day trips depending on availability (probably have better luck with availability with Subway)....but Reef House offers shore dives and snorkeling from their dock / pier as well.....just do a search for both and both are quick to respond via email. We will be there 2/13 - 2/22 staying in Calabash Bight so we may just run into you at Hole in the Wall or somewhere. Enjoy your trip.... Steve

Connecticut USA
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where else on Roatan?

We stayed out on the far East end of the Island last year for a month. Take are trip to the Asylum at Camp Bay....Have a great lunch a couple of cool drinks and snorkel off Camp Bay beach...you should have miles of the beach to yourself.

oshkosh
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where else on Roatan?

Thanks to all for your suggestions.It sounds like most of the shore snorkeling will be done by entering at a resort, restaurant, business, etc. I guess it makes sense that the nicest places would be where people gather.We hoped to find places out of the way that we could drive to, hike to the water and snorkel.Anyone know of a detailed map that might show the roads, towns and or land marks? To Tuacamo: We'll be at Castaway Cove and hope to spend some time at HITW. See ya

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where else on Roatan?

Its Roatan, There is no detailed map. The most detailed are those from realtors so you can look at property.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where else on Roatan?

I obtained a great Roatan map at the Art / Jewellery sore in West End. Try to visit it.

Here is a sample

PM Me if you want the other portions of the map

…shaw.ca/messages/…15

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where else on Roatan?

If only I could spelt

Get answers to your questions about Roatan