We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just unsure

Ontario
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
just unsure

My husband and I are planning to go to Roatan in January. We are 40 something and both love the beach and will snorkel. I am looking for a vote of confidence from people who have been there. Which resort would you choose? (we are thinking Fantasy Island) for a more romantic, quiet setting. Also I am hoping other Canadians will be there. Please pass along your personal reviews and suggestions for other alternatives. Thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just unsure

I stayed at the West Bay Lodge, which is very private, friendly, small, and low-key. I thought it was romantic, but not if you can on being waited on hand and foot. It's difinitely affordable and leaves space in the budget to go out for fancy dinners at the Vintage Pearl or even Bite on the Beach (I highly recommend both). All we did was snorkel, kayak, and hang out on the beach...West Bay Lodge was perfect.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: just unsure

Fantasy Island is more of a diver's resort and is fairly isolated from the other busier parts of the island, so if you are not diver's, I would recommend staying somewhere on West Bay. If you are looking for a "resort", maybe Henry Morgan's on West Bay beach. There should be plenty of Canadian's there in January....after all, it is January in Canada. You will enjoy yourself regardless of where you stay as long as you have the right attitude. Cheers, Tuacamo

toronto
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just unsure

Henry Morgan is a better choice than Fantasy Island if you want to snorkel but don't dive. HM is on a much larger beach, FIBR really is a small island that is a divers resort and not much else. It is under new ownership so the past reviews about bad food and rundown rooms may not apply but it is still quite isolated compared to HM.

We stayed at Henry Morgan twice last year. I dive but my wife doesn't and she loved the snorkeling and found the ocean swimming in front of the hotel to be the best so far in 12 trips to Mexico and Cuba. The barrier reef which is about 300 metres offshore creates a very calm lagoon which is ideal for swimming and there is a lot of patch reef very close to shore which makes for good snorkeling.

The guests are Italian and Canadian. The food is good enough, not gourmet but a good buffet.

PM me for more info

toronto
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just unsure

Henry Morgan is a better choice than Fantasy Island if you want to snorkel but don't dive. HM is on a much larger beach, FIBR really is a small island that is a divers resort and not much else. It is under new ownership so the past reviews about bad food and rundown rooms may not apply but it is still quite isolated compared to HM.

We stayed at Henry Morgan twice last year. I dive but my wife doesn't and she loved the snorkeling and found the ocean swimming in front of the hotel to be the best so far in 12 trips to Mexico and Cuba. The barrier reef which is about 300 metres offshore creates a very calm lagoon which is ideal for swimming and there is a lot of patch reef very close to shore which makes for good snorkeling.

The guests are Italian and Canadian. The food is good enough, not gourmet but a good buffet.

PM me for more info

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,047 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: just unsure

Agree with Fatcat.

From Toronto you can get some great AI packages

Also you have condos at West Bay to choose

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just unsure

We took a charter from Toronto to Roatan last April for a week. We booked air only with Air Transat, then booked our hotel separately. We stayed in West End, but took the water taxi to West Bay a few times. Gorgeous beach and the snorkelling was fabulous.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just unsure

My husband and I, fellow canuckleheads, went last year and can highly recommend Island Pearl/Bananarama. West Bay Lodge is a bit of a walk from the beach which may seem like not a big deal, but a hassle for needing facilities or just wanting something from your room. Plus Island Pearl/Bananarama run the bar/restaurant on the beach so you can put everything on your tab instead of needing cash at the beach. The snorkelling is excellent and the beach is perfect!

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just unsure

I concur with other posters who indicated that Fantasy Island is isolated. For your first trip to Roatan try a hotel right on West Bay beach...you won't regret it...Island Pearl, Mayan Princess, Henry Morgan, West Bay Village, Infinity...they are all right on the beach...lots of Canadians enjoy Roatan...in fact it may be one of the few places where we outnumber the Americans. Snorkelling is just a short walk down the beach...water taxi is available from WB Beach to West End Village for a little shopping or restaurants or a different snorkel spot. Enjoy...we love Roatan!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just unsure

We stayed at West Bay Lodge last March and had a wonderful time. It is a bit of a walk (3-4 minutes) to the beach so it's best if you organize yourself before heading out. The cabin's were lovely and the friendly service and price you can't beat. Breakfast was the only meal served at the Lodge (while we were there) so you do have to make arrangements for lunch and dinner time. Again not a problem with the mall, beach bars & restaurants all within a 5 minute walk.

We are heading back to Roatan on March 6/09 and are staying at the Henry Morgan. The only reason we aren't staying at the Lodge is because we got a great AI deal at Henry Morgan leaving Toronto.

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
280 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just unsure

If you want quiet, book a private home or condo. You can go down to the beach and snorkle anytime. When I think of romance - it doesn't involve 100 people sitting around a theme buffet. That's my preference.

Get answers to your questions about Roatan