We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sandy bay and general questions....

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
171 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
sandy bay and general questions....

FINALLY made the decision to go to Roatan. Looking at a home in Sandy Bay on the water. We are 40somethings, no kids, and really want the peace and quiet. Looking to veg on beach, a lot, and cab to bars/restaurants at night.

Anything we need to know about Sandy Bay, getting to West End, safety, what to be sure to do.....we are novices. Planning a zipline tour and absolutely will do a car rental for a day or two. Hole in the wall is on our list.

Anything else? Best places to eat? Goo happy hours? HELP!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sandy bay and general questions....

We are also renting a house in sandy bay on the beach. My wife and I will be there in Feb. and March. First time for us to, can't wait!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,047 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sandy bay and general questions....

We stayed at Bay Island Beach Resort (Diving resort)

Wonderful area. You must go there Thursday night for the Pig BBQ and Crab race

Do a search on places to stay

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: sandy bay and general questions....

To the poster and others....if it is your first time I would highly recommend a rental car for the week if you can afford (around $300 - $400). Restaurants we liked most were Gio's on the water in French Harbour, The View, Mi Gato, and Hole in the Wall. Explore the east end as well. Have fun....cheers tuacamo

Ontario
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sandy bay and general questions....

Great location, beach etc. Lots of good eats at West End 10min cab ride or you can take the local bus.

I like Half Moon Bay for blackened fish or Argentinian Grill for Shrimp and pasta.

You are central to local attractions and can snorkel from shore to the reef.

Where are you staying?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sandy bay and general questions....

We will be staying at a place called the tropicana, the owner said it is on the beach next to lawsons rock?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,047 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: sandy bay and general questions....

Here is a map of Sandy Bay (other maps of the area there aa well)

…shaw.ca/image/1/7/8/69234/roatansouth-0.jpg…

Try snorkelling at BIBR (Spooky Channel), nice bar / restaurant as well

West End: I like Eagle Rays for a bite / drinks over the water

West Bay: Fosters has a great bar / restuarant / happy hour specials, live bands

Roatan
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sandy bay and general questions....

Seems everone replyed to the good food part, so I will add one as well. The Shark Cave Pizza in West End. Cheap, good and very tasty. They have homemade bread, wraps and all sorts of yummy stuff. Tropicana is nice. Its between Coxen Hole and West End. Has a nice dock and beach. Its easy just to walk out to the main road and get a taxi or the minibus. You dont really need a car. Maybe for a day or two to explore the island. A taxi from Tropicana to West End will be 25-30 lempiras. So if you are not planning to drive around the island everyday. Save that money for the good food.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: sandy bay and general questions....

I was going to rent a scooter for the 3 weeks we are there, for shoping and exploring. Is a taxi really only 30 lps to west end from sandy bay? Also should we change are american dollars to lps. Where would be the best exchange rate?

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: sandy bay and general questions....

capemaychef ,

If you believe a taxi ride will only cost 30 lemps, or about a dollar fifty then I have some land for sale for you. Oh Wait, I do have land but its not really for sale just as these prices listed are correct for locals but unless you fit in and no one knows your a visitor or tourist you can expect to pay about $2000 lemps for the same trip. If anyone tells you different then thats great, if you believe it then your a fool. Taxi drivers can spot a tourist a mle away and then adjust rates.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sandy bay and general questions....

So I guess it is worth it to rent for the 3 weeks. thank you

Get answers to your questions about Roatan