We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan Closed - Riots in the Streets

Chatham, NJ
4 posts
Save Topic
Roatan Closed - Riots in the Streets

It's hard to find information but cruise ships have been avoiding Roatan this week. Something about riots in the roads. Saw something about the airport being barricaded and shut down.

Anyone find more on this?

Few if any news sources in Honduras.

Sounds like a mess.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
766 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roatan Closed - Riots in the Streets

I too would like to hear more from someone living there. We leave Saturday...

Chatham, NJ
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Roatan Closed - Riots in the Streets

Check the Roatan Forums on Yahoo.

Check the Roatan Forums, NCL Forums and Carnival Forums on CruiseCritic.com.

https://www.osac.gov/Reports/report.cfm…

laprensahn.com/Inicio/Ediciones/2008/10/15/N…

If you can't read spanish you can translate it with Babelfish.

The riots are real. Media is controlled in Honduras so it is difficult to find any news.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
766 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roatan Closed - Riots in the Streets

I have been emailing with Adi, the manager at Lands End Resort in West End and he said it was just a road block yesterday and the day before and nothing else (that he knows of). He is going out shopping right now and will give me an update when he returns.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
766 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roatan Closed - Riots in the Streets

I heard back from Adi (manager at Lands End) and he went out shopping today and said nothing is happening. See his comments below:

just came back from shopping. Everything is calm on the streets.

It was just a road block for 2 days. No riots.

The cruise ship did not dock in Roatan that day because passengers could not go explore the island.

Road blocks happen in Europe too when people protest against war, for better wages.

Roatan has another road block in May for the triathlon!

No worries, everything is fine.

cu soon

Adi

So, once again, I think it may have been blown out of proportion. Let's hope so anyway!

Linda

Boring, Oregon
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Roatan Closed - Riots in the Streets

Also just heard from TJ Lynch, Realtor.

NO big deal!

I am more worried about the weather. Leaving Saturday.

Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Roatan Closed - Riots in the Streets

well we juist spent 7 unbelievable days on west bay beach and got back to fla.. oct 11th saturday diving was great !

people were great!

everything was well GREAT!

we had a pick up from avis and were out all over the island night and day and

well

It was very peaceful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I felt very safe !

police were out in the evening in west end and west bay security at every resort etc.

we have lived on grand cayman and my wife is from st coix and I lived there 10 years.

I would have to stay at elast from our time on roatan it was just as safe as those islands if not better !

not to knock either the USVI or caymans. they are also beautiful islands.,!

we also spent time in coxan Hole etc during the day driving a round at night.. thru sandy bay

No probl;ems at least since when we left oct 11th..

so fill me in on the riots ? and why ...

I'll be back to roatan or to the outer islands there in the future to dive...

enjoy.

Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Roatan Closed - Riots in the Streets

the gov raised electrical fees and the people are upset..

thats what this is all about !~!!

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roatan Closed - Riots in the Streets

Just a correction...the government did NOT raise the fees....the electric company is a privately owned company and I believe the fuel surcharge is what went up. The company and local government officials have met and are meeting and things are being worked out.

Boring, Oregon
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Roatan Closed - Riots in the Streets

Not sure how this got so blown out of proportion, We are here today, and have been since Saturday. There were no riots, just some local protesting about the high electricity rates. For the most part, everything was done peacefully. We are staying in our Condo on West Bay. We went to Coxen Hole yesterday, and everything was normal. The rain has stopped, and the sun is out. Who could ask for more. Beach Here we we come!!!

Carl

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roatan Closed - Riots in the Streets

we are arriving nov 2 till the 9th- the weather is nice now??? that is nice to know. we are trying to figure out how to get to roatan now from san pedro- apparently taca cancelled our flight. nice. so now scrambling to figure out what to do- oh yeah and get married. like i need this now!!! oh well. any suggestions would be great but very happy to hear the weather is nice.