We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, NC
7 posts
Save Topic
Where to go?

My husband and I have two free flights on American Airlines. We are planning on going somewhere after Christmas over the new year and first week of January. We've been looking at Belize, St. Kitts and Nevis, Roatan Honduras, Puerto Vallarta, ect. We can't decide and need some input from people who have been to these places. We love great beaches, food, and adventure (snorkel, scuba, canyoning, hiking, water sports, ect.) we're going for more of a Jimmy Buffet feel :-) We don't like over crowded beaches and Americanized resorts. If you could pick your top 2 favorite vacations in the Central America, Caribbean, and Mexico regions which would you choose and why?

Thank you so much for your help!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,499 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go?

Roatan answers all of your criteria but @ XMAS / NY is in the rainy season

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go?

Roatan is a lot more Bob Marley and latin American then Key west Jimmy Buffett and as the previous poster mentioned you are asking about going in the heart of the rainy season. I would suggest you look at all these places you posted the same question and in the box on the top right above your first post type in "weather" or "rainy season" or at least the month your interested in going so you have an Idea what to expect.

Washington
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go?

Roatan is great, but may not be the time of year to fall in love with it.

PV has great weather in January. I would look at the north end of the bay, say Bucerias to stay on a quiet uncrowded beach town. Several nice small hotels, and vacation houses to rent there.

Even a "Cheeseburger in Paradice" restraunt in PV.

Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go?

st john, st croix.. or provo in the turks caicos!

Tortola also...

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
661 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go?

My hubby and I enjoy similar vacation and did not like Puerto Vallarta- way too Americanized for us. There was a McDonalds, Outback, Sams Club, all within walking distance of our resort.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go?

I found Provo in Turks and Caicos was too 'Canadianized' for me too...Royal Banks etc...not what I want to see on a tropical vacation.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
460 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go?

Puerto Vallarta is not your place. Especially considering the other choices you mention. It is simply another resort that mexico created to separate tourists from their dollars.

Cozumel is very nice if you dive. And for a diversion you can take the ferry over to see Tulum and the cenotes.

St. John is fabulous, but may be too quiet for you. However there are more beaches than people and the hiking is unlimited.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go?

Where do people come up with these comments! More beaches than people in St John ~ that wasn't the case 30 years ago ~ I highly doubt that it is the case now! It was nice and I loved the hikes to the old plantations in ruin but the snorkeling left a lot to be desired as the coral in close to shore in the park was long dead and there really wasn't a lot of coral around that island. There was coral in some of the remote beaches in the BVI. Snorkeling coral or Turtle Grass is way more interesting than snorkeling sand.

Yep, the weather can have a negative impact. We camped in the USVI Christmas and it rained most every day we were there ~ people from the the NE US were depressed by the rain ~ we just went out and got wet as it was certainly a lot warmer than Michigan at the time which is where we lived then. We still saw an abundance of fish and had a wonderful time.

9. Re: Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, October 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Roatan