We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog transportation to Roatan

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
houston
Level Contributor
72 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Dog transportation to Roatan

Has anyone taken a dog to Roatan recently? I have a 60 pound golden who I would love to take. Continental can get us to San Pedro Sula but not sure what to do after that. Has anyone flown a dog into RTB?

Thanks!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog transportation to Roatan

I met some people 3 weeks ago that brought their dog, err horse. I think he weighed close to 100 pounds. Not sure how they did it but it can be done. How come you can't fly into RTB on Continental? That's what we did last month.

houston
Level Contributor
72 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog transportation to Roatan

I can fly direct to Roatan but not my dog. I am not sure why and the person at Continental did not not know either. I sure wish I knew how how he got his down.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog transportation to Roatan

Have you contacted Continental's cargo department? Since the dog would be going as cargo they'd be the oone's to deal with the issue. It seems like it would be VERY uncomfortable to ride in the belly of the plane with the heat and all.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog transportation to Roatan

The heat is one of the reasons some carriers will not transport animals certain times of the year. I have no experience on Continental but do know Delta has flown many direct to Roatan. Are you moving there or just want to bring your dog on vacation? If the latter be aware that there are many loose and stray dogs with all kids of health issues running around.

houston
Level Contributor
72 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog transportation to Roatan

I spoke with Continental's pet smart program...all dogs are in the belly but they are temperature controlled cargo areas. They are the last items on and the first off and wait in temperature controlled areas before boarding. With Roatan being a small airport they might not have these accomadations and perhaps that is the reason why no direct to Roatan.

We are close to moving there just trying to work out some details.

Delta has the temperature rule. It can not be over 85 degrees to ship cargo. From Houston we would have to fly to Atlanta and then RTB. But may an option.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog transportation to Roatan

Have you checked whether the dog will have to be quarantined upon returning to the US?

One of the shots CDC recommends for humans going to Honduras is rabies!! My doctor said that was overkill but it seems to me to send up a red flag that maybe animals in Honduras, including Roatan, are not properly vaccinated, and as bluehouse guys says there apparently are lots of dogs running loose there that your dog might come in contact with and be at-risk.

7. Re: Dog transportation to Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 30, 2009