We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Snorkel Gear

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
10 posts
Save Topic
Bringing Snorkel Gear

I will be on the island for almost 3 months. I'm thinking about bringing snorkel gear. However, I'd prefer to just buy it on the island if that is at all possible. I don't yet own any gear and I'd like to support the local shops. And I'd like to avoid having to carry it onto the airplane.

Is there a place there that would sell me either new or used gear?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,648 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bringing Snorkel Gear

We flew TACA with our dry snorkels and masks in carry on and fins in checked luggage with no problems. I also prefer using my own equipment and it really is no bother to bring along. We did go through a small bottle of mask defogger which I was happy we remembered to bring as well.

Dieppe, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bringing Snorkel Gear

We are going to Roatan in 2 days (!) and we will be buying our fins, mask & snorkel in Roatan. We know it will be cheaper to buy it there than in Toronto and we will only have to worry about it getting lost with our luggage on our way back home (not on our way there). We DID however buy a small bottle of mask de-fogger (checked luggage) and our snorkel vests (carry on) in Toronto and will be bringing thoes with us.

I know there are allot of shops in Roatan, both in West Bay & West End. So buying equipment is not an issue. :) Enjoy your trip!

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Bringing Snorkel Gear

Buying simple equipment is very easy, you may not find the exact most up to date style or color you want but you wil find equipment. If you are buyng more expensive dive gear just consider that manufacturers warranties may be null and void and if you have an issue after returning home you may be SOL.

14. Re: Bringing Snorkel Gear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 27, 2009