We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

roatan next year

gibraltar
Level Contributor
91 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
roatan next year

hi there me and my mate are thinking of visiting roatan next year2009 .we would like to know if this island is quite safe and if anybody out there knows a good tour operator that offers holidays to roatan from london ( united kingdom).and whats the best month to visit roatan?thanking you in advance

Bodden Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Boat Tours
Roatan Trips &Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Boat Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Private Tours
Roatan Custom Tours -- Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Private Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: roatan next year

I've just returned on Saturday from my 2nd trip to Roatan, and I've always felt safe. It is certainly on the rustic side, but I don't find it to be a shady place at all. Months to steer clear are October through February, as these are the rainy months. From what I here, December and January are the absolute worst. I found the weather to be quite pleasant this time of year; we had a little of everything; sunshine, rain, moderate temps, high temps, etc; much like spring anywhere else I suppose. The first time I went was in August 2005, and it was extremely hot; fortunately, I spend most of my day underwater diving, so it doesn't matter much. Visibility for diving was much better when I was there in August. It was pretty good this go around, but not as good as it was in the summer.

gibraltar
Level Contributor
91 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: roatan next year

hi nmdesertdiver thnks for your post,when you go to roatan where have you stayed?

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: roatan next year

There are many options to choose from, from hostels and budget motels to resorts, just depends on what you're looking for. Your two primary options are going to be to stay in West End or West Bay. West Bay is the most beautiful beach on the island, as such, this is where the larger resort type of hotels have gone up. It is somewhat more expensive than West End, and is resort after resort all along the beach. It is beautiful, but not really my thing. I much prefer West End which is a quaint little tourist village. Here you will find a variety of accommodations, as well as a better selection of bars and restaraunts. You get to mix and mingle with locals, as well as a number of expatriates from all over the world.

As far as an actual place to stay, my wife and I have stayed both times at Luna Beach Resort. It is not your typical resort however, so don't let the name fool you. It is somewhere in-between. Room selections include 1 & 2 bedroom beach bungalows, roughly $100 - $150 per night, as well as 3 & 4 bedroom houses. We had friends with us this time around, so we rented one of the houses; it was around $250 per night, but came out to less than $100 per person. Luna Beach is located just outside of West End as you are heading towards West Bay. It is situated on 22 acres of private jungle and beach, so it is nice and tucked away, yet only a 10 minute walk up the beach to West End. They have there own dive shop, bar, and restaraunt; we didn't utilize there bar or restaraunt too much, as we generally found ourselves in West End for eats and drinks. The dive shop is great, and very professional. They are slightly more expensive than some of the dive shops in the village, but we were willing to pay for the convenience of being on location. We checked our gear out for the week, and they gave us lockers to store our stuff.

Hope this helps somewhat; also, you may just want to look through some of these threads on the forum. In a couple hours, you'll have a pretty good lay of the land and numerous opinions.

Cheers!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: roatan next year

I posted a trip report yesterday. We just got back on Friday evening. I'm glad we chose to stay in West End instead of West Bay, although the beach at West Bay is wonderful. West End has lots of restaurants so there was plenty of choice, both high end and cheap. We would have been much more restricted if we had stayed in West Bay. I think a lot of the people there (at least the ones on our flight from Toronto) were staying at all inclusives.

We usually like to go away in February to escape the winter. This year, I couldn't take a holiday until April. From what I understand, historically April in Roatan is better weather-wise than February, so that was ok. Mind you, who can predict the weather?

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: roatan next year

'Quaint' is not a descriptive I would select to describe West End. There are a very good selection of restaurants in West Bay with very competitive prices to West End's ~ with the recent increases at several restaurants of choice. It has many things going for it but I would not describe it as 'quaint'. And I think of Crawfish Rock, or Mud Hole, or Punta Gorda as villages, but not West End.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: roatan next year

which is why I called it a "tourist" village.

7. Re: roatan next year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 26, 2009