We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forgot to ask about taxis in Roatan

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Forgot to ask about taxis in Roatan

I forgot to ask about some advice when it come to taxi's on the Island. Any tips from the seasoned travellers? We don't want to overcharged for our trips. Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forgot to ask about taxis in Roatan

We are going to Roatan in July and had the same question. I entered "taxis" in the search feature and found lots of responses. Haven't waded through all of them yet, but it seemed like there was a lot of good info. Hope this helps.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forgot to ask about taxis in Roatan

Just got back from Roatan yesterday. Taxis are everywhere; make sure you negotiate and agree prior to getting in the taxi. On average, expect around $20-25 from Coxen Hole to West End. From West End to West Bay or vice versa, roughly $10. Water Taxi from West End to West Bay are $2, but these do not run after dark. If you're planning to do any more touring of the island, I would check with the hotel you are staying at; ours had an average price listing for different places on the island. My wife and I, along with our friends rented scooters for the week, so didn't really have to deal with the taxi situation too much. If you chose that route, just make sure you are comfortable and experienced on two wheels, and definitely drive defensively. We had no problems at all, and toured the entire island by scooter, but a couple weeks ago a couple people were killed. From the stories I heard, they were being impatient and stuck behind another vehicle, they went to pass and went head on into a garbage truck. You will see the locals do this kind of thing all the time; don't drive like a local, you'll get hurt. Hug the right shoulder, keep your head up, and take your time.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forgot to ask about taxis in Roatan

Have you looked into renting a car? Last year we paid $55 for one day...and it was $150 for the week. next time we go we will rent by the week.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forgot to ask about taxis in Roatan

Just got back on 4/19. Stayed for 8 days. Rented a car the first 4 days. Reserved an economy car for $20 per day. Alamo was offsight and we paid $4 from the airport to Alamo office (approx. 2-3 miles). We're glad we rented a car, Roatan is a small Island with basically one main road. It's pretty easy to get around and parking is almost anywhere except where there are signs that say "No Parking". We stayed at Sante's Wellness Spa the last 4 days and the cab from Coxen Hole to Parrot tree Plantation is $20.

USA
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Forgot to ask about taxis in Roatan

Taxis are readily available in West End. I think we paid 100 lempira to get to coxen hole one day and 200 to get to the airport the next. That's roughly $5 and $10, which was more than worth it. There are also taxis that pick up random people and make several stops along the way. I forget what they called them, but that option didn't appeal to us. The private taxi prices were more than reasonable. Be sure to let the driver know that you're not a cruise ship passenger, though. I think they charge them more.

6. Re: Forgot to ask about taxis in Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, September 26, 2009