We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating on a Budget in West End, Roatan

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern IL
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Eating on a Budget in West End, Roatan

I've posted this on a few other message boards...figured I'd put it up here as well.

Just got back from a visit to West End, Roatan last week, and I've noticed that while there's lots of information about some of the great higher-end restaurants there, I have seen very little information on the inexpensive places to eat in West End, so I figured I'd post something to help out all of you that are cheap like me. It's true that a lot of places are expensive, especially if you try to compare the prices with mainland Honduras (big mistake...think U.S. prices), but if you know where to look, you can feed two people for under $10 easily - with a couple beers - and in some cases under $5, especially if you dig baleadas, tostadas, and the like. Here's some of the places to look for when you're in West End:

Monce's - Located across the street from The Bakery #2 and next to Happy Diver's, this place serves breakfast and lunch. 4 or 5 different kinds of baleadas...try the chorizo & egg baleada, it's damn good. They also have tacos, and make lots of different varieties of fruit smoothies / milkshakes. My wife and I would get 3 baleadas and split a banana milkshake in the morning for around 100 lempira.

Unnamed stand next to the Purple Turtle and across from the Blue Channel - This place is opens around lunchtime and stays open well into the night, serving up baleadas, tostadas, enchiladas, and deep fried meat filled pastries. Bring your Spanish, because the ladies that run it don't speak much English. The place is very cheap, and you can also grab a beer there, even though you won't see it with the sodas in the display coolers...just ask.

Next to Coconut Tree Divers - There's a little shack that sells snacks...they also will cook you up a baleada, very cheap.

Cool Treats - Next to The Bakery #2 (sharing the same building) you can grab a quick slice of pizza for 30 lempira.

The Galley - Little place sitting back from the road a bit, right next to Paradise Computers, serving mostly pasta...you can get a plate for under 100 lempira if I remember right.

Open lot near to Twisted Toucan - there is a lady that sets up a grill and whatever she brings, right under a tarp / tent. Just ask her what she's cooking and enjoy.

Mavis & Dixies - Not everything on the menu is inexpensive, but if you go there for lunch try the Island Lunch. For 120 lemps you get whatever fresh fish they caught that morning, beans, rice, a salad, and some veggies. Well worth it, especially when compared w/ some of the seafood prices around town.

Rotisserie Chicken - near Rudy's. You can get a 1/4 or 1/2 chicken with a couple sides for pretty cheap...can't remember exactly how much, but I think it was around 100-120 lempira.

Somewhere near the Lost Paradise bungalows, at the far end of town - I can't remember the exact location, but it's not on the beach side, and sits back from the road a bit. Basically it's lady under a porch awning with a ton of pots cooking...fried chicken, stews, etc. all for a reasonable price. There will be a lot of people sitting around eating...you'll know the place.

Ok, those are the places I can think of off the top of my head...I may have left some out, but then again I didn't eat everywhere in town. If I remember more I'll post 'em later. Hope this helps some of y'all that are like me and don't want to spend a ton on food!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating on a Budget in West End, Roatan

Great info!

We ate at Rotisserie Chicken as well. Three of us had burritoes and beer all for $20

We stumbled on it during a power outage. A lot of other places were closed so they were very busy.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating on a Budget in West End, Roatan

Thank you so much. I've saved this info as we're heading down for a week the middle of May. Will definitely be checking these places out.

Forked River, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating on a Budget in West End, Roatan

great post!

We will be in roatan april 19...these are the type of places we love to eat at.. does anyone have a simlar list of places in west bay??

bluehouseguy - can you offer any great local inexpensive places to eat???.. i love to give the locals the buisness.

Dieppe, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating on a Budget in West End, Roatan

Thanks for posting this! I saved it in my trip info. We are going for 2 weeks in May and can't wait to eat some of the local food! :)

N.

Alberta
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating on a Budget in West End, Roatan

Can someone tell me what a Baleadas is?

Northern IL
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating on a Budget in West End, Roatan

A baleada is a warm flour tortilla with beans spread on it, then usually topped w/ cheese and cream, and many other possible ingredients like eggs, ham, beef, avacado, or chicken depending on how and where you order it.

Forked River, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating on a Budget in West End, Roatan

sounds yummy.. 3 more weeks...

can't wait!!

bw1
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating on a Budget in West End, Roatan

Rotisserie Chicken is a must do. Great food, cheap and fast. Hard to go wrong with.

Los Angeles
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating on a Budget in West End, Roatan

I read an article in this month's issue of American Lifestyle that mentions a boat trip to an Island off of Roatan where you meet with the inhabitants, 20 Garifuna villagers live on this island & you can get $6 lobsters & heaps of sides, does anyone know where this is? The whole story of the Garifuna community & having the opportunity to break bread with them intrigues me... plus my cheap arse LOVES the idea of $6 lobsters ;-) BTW I am leaving tomorrow, it's a last minute trip so the sooner I get an answer the better. Thanks.

10. Re: Eating on a Budget in West End, Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, September 24, 2009