We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North,South East or West

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
North,South East or West

I'm confused on which side of the island to stay on. It seems East and West boast the reef. How can a reef run on both sides of the island and be as good as they all say?

Best Shore diving is where?

Best boat diving is where?

Best Wreck diving is where?

Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North,South East or West

Go on Google earth-you will see the reef-it goes allll around.

I don't think you will find an objective answer-everyone is going to have favorites all around the island.

Stay with a place that dives all over.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North,South East or West

The diving all around Roatan is Similar and a lot will depend on conditions. Someone may think the Northide is better but if your there when the winds start blowing from the north then the southisde will be better. It is an Island, same ocean all around, the reef and ledge might just be a little further out but even a long boat ride on Roatan is short compared to many other places and a short boat ride is often about the same as justa good swim.

As far as best of anything that is completely open to interpretation. I can only voice my opinion on my knowledge and places I have been. The best shore diving i have done is Bonaire, the best Boat diving was Fiji and Best Wreck diving was Chuuk Lagoon.

Ok Ok, you meant on Roatan. There is little true Wreck diving to be done, the most popular are the Odysea and the Aguilar. Boat Diving? I guess the best boat diving is with whoever goes out of their way that day to find you the cleanest water and best conditions. Shore diving is limited depending on where you are staying. If at a diving resort with shore diving your all set but there are few public known access points and unlike a lot of the US there are very very few dive shops that will rent you anything for shore diving

3. Re: North,South East or West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, September 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Roatan