We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Frustration

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,087 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Flight Frustration

I am trying to book flight to Roatan in late January. Is $650 typical from Miami RT? The odd thing is I get a price around $400 from Atlanta to Roatan THROUGH Miami? Over $600 direct from Miami...

The other option is to fly the bizarre hours of Spirit from Ft Lauerdale to San Pedro Sulas, has anyone done this flight option? It is only about $300 but I am concerned about safety. I know sometimes Veteran travelers have good input on booking to such areas. Thanks in advance for advice.

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Frustration

OB -

I've taken the Spirit flight as have my wife and daughter. No problem except having to stay in San Pedro Sula for the night.

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Frustration

obxpat-we flew from Tucson, but when planning for our trip I knew we would have to do a lay over and I thought it would be a lot cheaper to fly out of Miami....but no, Atlanta was much cheaper. I acutally got a cheaper flight for some odd reason by doing a triangle fare. Tucson, Miami, Jacksonville(went to a wedding after Roatan). Go figure.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Frustration

Wow, wish I had found the $400 flight from ATL to Roatan for my son to visit us at during his holiday!

There is a Microtel in San Pedro Sula along with many other fine hotels as it is a very international business center.

Air travel ~ I've gone west to go east ~ there never seems to be solid logic to it.

Linda Kay's Bodyguard ~ TropicalIslandVilla

Richmond, virginia
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight Frustration

Since Atlanta is the largets airport in the US, their fees are lower compared to miami, even though proximity may cause you to think other wise. You need to remember that January is the start of the busy season so fares depending on certain carriers will vary drastically!

cheers!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,087 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight Frustration

I understand Atlanta is larger etc. also the Seasonal nature. My point was that the Atlanta flight CONNECTS to the same Miami flight and is considerably (over $200) less for entire Atl to roatan trip. At any rate, I have found better prices and times by flying mid wk late Jan and returning two wks later also mid wk. I can fly into Roatan and out of San Pedro Sula since I would like a few days on the mainland. Thanks for the advice! Now the next part will be planning where to stay on Roatan, Utila and La Ceiba! Also I will be looking into the 2 day horseback trip with Omega and some diving on Roatan and Utila! Suggestions welcome!

Richmond, virginia
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight Frustration

obxpat.....

FYI for the future, any flight orginating from an airport with the most routes will always have the lesser fare, even if that fare is a stop over as in Atl-Mia-Rtb, then the direct flight from a smaller airport..

Glad you found better flights. We booked an incredible deal on Taca from Dulles on jan 26 for $263 Roundtrip to Roatan through El Salvador but we made the reservations 5 months in advance.

One bit of advice for people looking to goto Roatan. Check the permanent or seasonal schedules and try and get your tickets more than a couple months in advance. It amazes me what you can get!

cheers!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,087 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight Frustration

interesting...flying from Richmond Va (where I was bornn) out of Dulles??? Quite a drive.......................

Richmond, virginia
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight Frustration

Heck for $263 RT I will drive the hour and a half for that, plus a night before in Georgetown is a great way to start off vacation. Flights out of Richmond to Roatan start at $700 at that time!

cheers!

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight Frustration

whats the airline that your getting the price from Atlanta?

Delta flies direct from ATL (does not stop in miami)....also on certain dates... saturdays???

There is a flight from Miami to roatan with TACA that is direct.. and its only on Sunday..thats probably why your paying more...

You might pay less from Atlanta through Miami with American... but its not a direct flight from Miami to Roatan....your stopping in san pedro sula... (2 flights daily....so theres more space..cheaper price)

I have flown Spirit and its fine... no problems...

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
280 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight Frustration

$263 from IAD? I missed out on that one.

We are looking to go in March and the price is now $545 from IAD to RTB via SAL.

IMHO, anything under $400 with one stop is a deal.