We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying through El Salvador????

Maryland
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Flying through El Salvador????

We are flying to Roatan on Taca, through El Salvador, on Christmas morning. Any advice?

I'm very nervous about going through El Salvador. Will we have to leave the international terminal? Pay any fines? Go through customs?

All we hear in the DC area about El Salvador has to do with the MS 13 gang (which is all over the place where we live), so of course I'm scared of El Salvador. There's actually a special on TV right now about the gang. Everything we hear makes it sound like a terrible, dangerous place.

Has anyone gone through? Please share. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
El Salvador
El Salvador
Central America
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying through El Salvador????

Jes, I have never flown through El Savador, but typically passengers who are just making connections do not have to clear customs or leave the international terminal when they are doing so. With Tacas new route to Oakland from El Savador, I may do so in the future.

I think you are getting a narrow perspective of El Salvador. I have met many people from El Salvador who come to Roatan to dive and have found them to be very cosmopolitian as well as friendly and fun. I spent quite a bit of time with one family of 5. The mother worked for Microsoft. Their children were delightful; they were polite, well educated and participated in interesting conversation.

Mentioned in this post
El Salvador
El Salvador
Central America
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
California
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying through El Salvador????

I've taken TACA through San Salvador twice. Both times, the transfer was uneventful. You will not have to leave the terminal and there are bars/restaurants - places to get a cup of coffee or a cocktail before your ongoing flight.

No worries. It's a typical, sterile, Central American airport. The riff/raff is kept out .

I will say the food on TACA is frightening - I would bring my own.

Enjoy your flight.

--Sioux

Mentioned in this post
San Salvador
San Salvador
San Salvador Department, El Salvador
Maryland
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying through El Salvador????

Thanks to all for the replies. I don't mean to sound negative about El Salvador. Airports in general just scare the crap out of me. Some people have an airplane phobia, I have an airport phobia. A documentary on MS 13 happened to be on as I posted, and they were showing deported gang members getting off a plane in the San Salvador airport. Compounding my fear.

Mentioned in this post
El Salvador
El Salvador
Central America
San Salvador
San Salvador
San Salvador Department, El Salvador
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying through El Salvador????

Jes, we certainly appreciate your expression of thanks for our responses.

Personally, I think that many people have airport phobias. During one of my many lives, I was a flight attendant. Many of us talked about the Jewkyl and Hyde change that took place at the entrance to the airport. My own personal fear is missing the flight, which did once while setting in the gate area ~ my thoughts were on the person with me who later became my husband. I guess the best advice is 'Be Here Now".

Many North Americans, myself included, had or have impressions of Central America, the world for that matter, that are created by what we hear in the news and magnified to reflect an impression of the entire country that is long lasting. And the news focuses on the negative, so much so, that they seem to create it. Felix was a prime example.

Linda Kay Tropical Island Villa

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying through El Salvador????

You dont have to leave the terminal... no fines or customs necessary if your in-transit. Its a decent airport.

no worries about "gangs"....

6. Re: Flying through El Salvador????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, September 12, 2009