We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan

Florida
Level Contributor
339 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Roatan

We're senior citizens not into diving or snorkeling.

Would Roatan be a good place for us to vacation? Are there oher things to do there or would we be better

off in a place like Belize?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roatan

What DO you want to do?

There are some very nice resorts and a very nice beach if you just want a pool and a beach and are happy plopping yourself in one spot.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roatan

I can think of any number of places that are prettier and have better beaches and are more upscale and a lot easier to get to than Roatan. If you're not going to Roatan to be in the water, I think you're missing out on what makes Roatan so special, and you might as well look elsewhere, if price is no concern. Belize has a lot of the same limitations, but at least it has interesting ruins inland. I would not rate either as pretty by Caribbean standards.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Roatan

Beauty certainly is in the eye of the beholder!

Since you are considering the Western Caribbean, I'm guessing you are looking to experience beautiful blue bays with long stretches of white sand beaches where you can walk and enjoy the sights, sounds, and scents of the tropics; or do the same from a dock or the deck. It is possible to have these experiences along with those of boardwalks through bird sanctuaries and dinning under the stars on Roatan. Roatan is mountainous with forests of large trees ~ I prefer its beauty to that of flat island atolls. We have a variety of wonderful restaurants; along with wildlife parks; Dolphin research center offering Dolphin encounters; Mangrove tours; glass bottom boat tours, Bone or deep sea fishing; tours of some fantastic vistas; and Islanders who welcome tourists.

You can combine a stay on Roatan with a visit to the mainland of Honduras where there is very unique and tranquil beauty mixed with comfort. The Pico Bonito Lodge outside of La Ceiba offers affordable luxury along with guided tours of rivers. We just toured the Lancetilla Botanical Gardens (Garden of magnificent mature trees from 4 continents) ~ it is the largest in this hemisphere. And a overnight to Copan can make for a most memorable holiday where full advantage is taken of the air fare. Roatan has non stop flights. No I am not a travel agent.

Belize is flat whereas Honduras is mountainous. Pico Bonito was not breached until the later part of the 1900s.

It would help if you said what you want to experience.

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roatan

Gaia, I was totally with you until you said Belize was flat.

New England
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roatan

You'll love Roatan. It reminds many of Key West of the 1960s. Unprententious and still relatively untouched by the mass tourism of other inexpensive locales.

West Bay beach is one of the most impressive in the world. Clean, calm white sand. Easy to swim and snorkel.

The West End is bordered by a natural sand road along the water with great restaurants and small hotels.

The eastern half of the island is almost untouched with stunning water vistas and lots of tropical green hills.

If you've never been you're in for a real treat.

San Diego
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Roatan

BWaaaahahahaha. belize flat?

Don't dive" Don't snorkel? DONT GO.

Animal parks? a guys home with a bunch of iguanas and turtles and a place with butterflies

White Beaches? Sure thing, with bugs and all, there is much nicer beaches other places and bigger,

roatan loses electricity almost everyday so no A/C or else a big noisy generator

shopping cant compare to the more popular islands

If you enjoy laying on a beach covered in bug spray, sleeping in a hot room with no electricity half the time, paying different prices on different days for the same thing depending on cruise ships,staying in the aids capital of the americas, risking all the disease, then you might love it.

You never said you were intent on Western Carib so I don't assume that is your only choices. Belize has a lot better infrastructure, more dining, shopping, more options and a lot more history and culture but there are better places in my opinoin in eastern carib.

Flat Belize? BWWWAAHAHAH , belize is not flat, it might not have elevation of mainland hondura but it does have elevations more higher than roatan.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Roatan

I stand corrected on the flatness of Belize. My experience was limited just like ScubaSurfs’ was of Roatan. Grassroots conservationist Mr Arch does not have the only wild live park on Roatan ~ while Carambola Gardens has a botanical focus in its fairly large reserve I have seen many native species or animal such as deer. Gumbalimbo Park has monkeys and flocks of Parrots. Coral Cay has several species of Turtles, and various other marine life in an idyllic setting.

Many resorts have their own generators which may be criteria for selecting it. Yes, the noise from un- shielded diesel generators setting in the open near your accommodations eliminates the sense of serenity and tranquility. This is another factor to use in discriminating between accommodation options. I would say that ScubaSurf did not select accommodations with a noise controlled full time automatic generator.

San Diego
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Roatan

Most species at gumbalimbo and Coral cay were imported.

These are Zoo's and not animal parks. These are so you can pet a monkey or iguana even though they are not native or have been hunted to extinction years ago. You have as good a chance of seeing wild parrots in roatan as you do in miami. even the people with quiet generators are using generators that are very high emmisions and wasting fossil fuels and creating harmful emissions.

roatan has sun but most places have generators and not solar backup.

roatan has wind but most places have generators and not win generators,

roatan has bugs, lots of biting bugs with malaria and other bad things,

roatan also has the highest per capita aids problem anywhere in the americas.

San Diego
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Roatan

those that do not agree with me have a business on roatan and profit from selling roatan. ALL i post is fact and those that deny my fact are business owners on roatan that sell their business

San Diego
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Roatan

gaia, bluehouse,independent, R all business on roatan so if you are them yu need to think difrent and think difrent about there advise