We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in Roatan, What to do on Cruise ship Stop?

Florida
Level Contributor
94 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in Roatan, What to do on Cruise ship Stop?

It looks like all the other posts are people actually vacationing for an extended period of time in Roatan. For us, it will be a stop on our cruise the last week in October. The last carribean cruise I took, i met a bunch of people in Belize who had just come from Roatan and they LOVED IT. Here is my question: I am a beach lover, my husband is not a beach lover, nor is he a shopper. Sometimes he will go get a bite to eat and a beer in air conditioning while I sun myself, so if there is a beach that has something else right nearby, that is great. Neither of us are divers. If you had just 6 or 8 hours in Roatan, what would you do? (Please include best way to get there from port, cost, etc, etc). I'd like to spend at least an hour or two on an outrageously beautiful beach, then get to see some of the highlights of the island, perhaps via taxi?? Help, its coming up quickly. p.s. this is a change on our itinerary due to recent damage to the pier in Mexico (last hurricane), so it is a VERY pleasant surprise for us. Sorry for being a little lengthy, but no sense in asking for recommendations without giving you an idea of our likes and dislikes.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in Roatan, What to do on Cruise ship Stop?

Here is a link to a guide who caters to cruise ships. I do not have any first hand info. it's just a link I found, but it seems like a good way to spend a day.

Enjoy!

http://www.boddentours.com/

london, canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in Roatan, What to do on Cruise ship Stop?

The best known beach is West Bay, a beautiful, white sand beach with calm water and snorkelling from shore. There are some restaurants in the West Bay area that your husband could go to. Or head to West End: a small beach area called HalfMoon Bay, with a bar rignt on it: he could park himself at the bar (Sundowners), while you sun yourself outfront (bar is open air: not very many closed in restaurants/bars with A/C, most are all open air, but pleasant enough in the shade). West End has a little sandy road running through it with giftshops, diveshops, restaurants etc, so you could take a stroll after you finish suntanning (there are watertaxis that run between West End and West Bay, so you could always start off one spot, then go to the other). If you were interested in seeing the Botanical Gardens, it's in Sandy Bay, it's on the drive between West End and Coxen Hole (where the cruise ship docks). I wouldn't plan much more than that: if you try to see around the island, it would take a few hours if you want to check out some stuff on the East End, and then you would have much beaching time.

Put on your insect repellent, the no-see-ums can be voracious!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in Roatan, What to do on Cruise ship Stop?

Osgood Cay is a beautiful new destination built by the owner of Anthony’s Key Resort (long well established dive resort where Dolphin Research Center is located). Their dock is within view of the cruise ship dock and a short walk away ~ they may send a tender to the ship. It has it all: beautiful beach, beautiful pool, air conditioned seating as well as a beautiful outside refreshment and dining area. You won't get to see a lot of the island via land but you will see some of the best it has to offer.

Other option is purchase the day excursion to Mayan Princess ~ I suggest them as they have an air conditioned restaurant/bar and a badacious pool on West Bay Beach which is hands down the most beautiful developed beach on Roatan. There are beach vendors next door and a small mall with shops a beautiful short walk away. Gumgalimba Park is within walking distance as well along with glass bottom boat tours, etc.

Bananarama also offers day trip excursions to West Bay. I mention these as these resorts that cater to cruise ship visitors are where you will find necessaries. There are no public facilities on West Bay or Roatan for that matter.

And there is the option of Coral Cay, which is a very beautiful setting with wildlife, beach, shop, reef, restaurant all out on a wind cooled cay.

West End has some shops with most unusual and beautiful items. In addition to the Guatemalan shops there is 'Waves of Art' that has some extremely beautiful, affordable and unusual items ~ Cayukos also has lovely items, many of which promote enterprise by Mothers with families.

The jewels of Roatan are her reefs, people and forests. Try to avail your self of these via a snorkel or glass botton boat tour, engaging conversation with the locals and a canopy tour.

If it were me, I would not spend my few hours in Paradise in a car touring the island. I would spend it with my toes in baby powder sand, drinking Monkey Lalas and cooling off in the soothing beautiful blue waters with the mountains of the mainland in background.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day in Roatan, What to do on Cruise ship Stop?

A great way to see the island is to hire a driver for the day. We did this last October through Cinthia & Diane (roatancabtours.com) and it was fabulous. We saw so much that we wouldn't have if left on our own. It is a beautiful island - enjoy yourselves.

Destin, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day in Roatan, What to do on Cruise ship Stop?

For a fun time go to 2 Doves Bar & grill to the right from the cruise ship dock. Ice cold beer, clean restrooms and a great time. Ask for Stacie or Tierene(Not sure of the spelling) Great place to see local color and to relax. Great breeze coming in and right on the water.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day in Roatan, What to do on Cruise ship Stop?

I agree. It is now called One Dove. Wonderful baliadas!

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day in Roatan, What to do on Cruise ship Stop?

Can one use the beaches or is there a charge? What will it cost to get from the cruise dock to the West Bay beach? Would this be our best bet for a great day to play in the sun and snorkle? Is Tabyana a better beach? Thanks for your input. Still looking for help and direction

tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day in Roatan, What to do on Cruise ship Stop?

check out www.roatanet.com under 'cruiseship activites'

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day in Roatan, What to do on Cruise ship Stop?

Tabyana is a resort that caters to cruise ship visitors and it is located on West Bay Beach. I think that all of West Bay was called Tabyana at one time ~ shame someone had to change it!

You could get in a dive during your few hours here if you schedule it ahead of time. I do not think that Tabyana provides scuba trips and it is not done from shore ~ lots of good snorkeling from shore.

Lots of excellent dive operators all around the island.

If some dive and some don't and that some that don't want to lie on the beach or snorkel then West Bay or Palmetto Bay are good choices. If those that do not dive want to visit a lot of shops then West End is a good choice.

There is also Osgood Cay that is very near the dock so not a lot of time will be spent in travel ~ they have the dolphins and a nice shop, restaurant, pool, beach, but I do not know if they offer diving.

In any event you will be much better off if you select a place that offers you facilities and amenities rather than simply a taxi ride to 'a beach". And if you want to dive then schedule it in advance.

Kansas City/Roatan
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day in Roatan, What to do on Cruise ship Stop?

Well if you come around the end of next summer you will be able to take a tour around Roatan in a hovercraft. A complete trip around the island will be under 2 hours including 1 stop at the east end.

Tours will start at the end of summer '08. This hovercraft will aslo provide transportation to all three Bay Islands. Utila 5 days a week, Guanaja 1 day a week and tours of roatan 6 days a week. This craft will comfortably seat 30 people and travel over 55km per hour (35 miles per hour)

Roatan is in need of a "step up in class" tour and transportation within the Island and between the Bay Islands.

Enjoy your trip to Roatan as it is a place of beauty