We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time looking for luxury accomodations and diving..

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time looking for luxury accomodations and diving..

My husband and I are recently married and looking to possibly travel to roatan for a week dive vacation in November.

First, where should we stay? We do not want all inclusive...we prefer to try lots of different restaurants...We would like a place with high-end/luxury cabanas/room...something smaller, more boutique style.

but, we are looking to dive. We need a place close to great diving. so, not too remote form everything..unless cabs, etc are easy. What dive resorts would cater to one (me) needing more personal attention? I am a newer diver and prefer less people and more attentive dive masters. My husband is very advanced and would like hard dives.

As for diving: we both like the reef diving with lots of marine life, corals, clear water with warmer temps...interesting dives. Is this the place for us? what are other fun activities?

thank you!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time looking for luxury accomodations and diving..

Perhaps the Beach House in West End and dive with Native Sons or Coconut Tree.

Roatan is a beautiful island but it is still very quaint.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time looking for luxury accomodations and diving..

Check out Barefoot Cay's website and see if you feel they offer what you are looking for. Definitely high-end luxury rooms. They are a small boutique resort with only 4 bungalows. Place is only a few years old, so very nice-not run down at all!

We really enjoyed our two week stay there. You will want to have a car though if you stay there and want to explore. Cabs can get expensive, but are easily accesible from B.C.

Good luck.

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time looking for luxury accomodations and diving..

I took the post to mean they'd want to walk to the restaurants, which they can easily do from the Beach House. Even so, I'm wondering if the Beach House is luxurious enough for their expectations.

What would you be comparing to brigirl?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time looking for luxury accomodations and diving..

Honestly it may be difficult to find the very high end accomodations you may be used to. Roatan is a little funkier than most places in the Caribbean, and therefore a lot cheaper. It makes up for it by offering the best diving you'll find in the Caribbean, for all levels. Walls, wrecks, lots of hard and soft coral and sponges, swimthroughs, caves. Big fish, little fish. Wow.

You can rent a villa, but that would not offer resort pampering. Sounds like you will want to be close to the village in West End, since that's where are the little restaurants are. But that's also where the cheap rentals are.

The beach at West Bay is wide and full of melanoma seekers. It also features excellent snorkeling right off the beach. That's where the larger resorts cluster. Other large resorts are scattered around the island, too remote from the WestEnd restaurant scene. You can stay on West Bay and use convenient cheap water taxis to get to West End for eating and diving, or you can dive at West Bay for more money.

Be prepared for a funkier architectural style and sloppier construction standards than you'll find at most other places in the Caribbean. But Roatan diving more than makes up for it.

5. Re: First time looking for luxury accomodations and diving..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:26 am, September 10, 2009