We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Tour Guides?

Canada
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Private Tour Guides?

When we were in Costa Rica, I had pre-booked my tours with local people and avoided the large hotel groups. We were so happy we did it that way! Is this the same in Roatan? Are there more personal tour guides available that the hotels don't tell you about?

Our guides in Costa Rica would stop wherever/whenever we wanted. They provided snacks and beer too!

They were also insured, which is important.

Any suggestions?

Roatan Trips &Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Boat Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Private Tours
Bay Islands Adventures
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Boat Rentals, Private Tours
Radical Adventures
Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Boat Tours
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Tour Guides?

Bryna I have heard good things about Diane and Cynthia from Roatan Cab tours. You can find references to them on this forum.

I have always received quick email responses from them and have set up an afternoon island tour to include the mangroves when we are there in a couple of weeks. Seems like they will kind of do what ever suits you and do whatever stops you want. Don't know about snacks and beer or whether they are insured. I'll let you know how things work out.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
497 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Tour Guides?

I would also recommend diane and cynthia from Roatan cab tours. We booked them the last time we were in Roatan and the service was excellent! It was nice to be able to go snorkeling, etc. while they took care of our valuables. No complaints at all!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Tour Guides?

Great! I just sent an email to them. I hope it sent , because the website gave me a warning message, but also a confirmation?

I'll wait and see.

Thanks again!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Tour Guides?

Yes, any suggestions would be wonderful. My family will be arriving by cruise ship and we usually book our excursions outside of the cruise tour office. What do you suggest ; Tabyana, Coral Cay or Gumbalimba? My 8yr old son wants to explore the pirate's caves. Any suggestions would be great.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Tour Guides?

The "pirate cave" attraction at Gumbalimba, was quite campy. We spent 2 weeks on Roatan with our 9 and 10 year old sons. Since we had the time to do many things, it was not a big deal, but if you are just stopping on the island for the day and are looking for something to do, skip it. I would have been very disappointed if I had wasted my time in Roatan on two stagnant stucco caves with a cheesy fake pirate! You can come up with better things to do your time on Roatan. I would suggest the dolphin experience at Anthony's Key and a snorkel trip-enjoy some of the natural attractions, not lame amusement-park style kitsch.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
497 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Tour Guides?

I have been to Roatan a couple of times. The last time was a day stop while on a Princess cruise. We booked Roatan cab tours for the day and our driver took us where ever we wanted to go, looking after our valuables along the way. We did the zip line at West Bay which was fun for a while but not amazing. Maybe I just don't like zip lines. We also had our driver take us to West Bay Beach where she arranged for a local to take us out in his boat a little ways off shore to snorkel. You can also snorkel right from the shore at the far end of the beach but there were lots of people there. A few years ago we spent time in Roatan with our kids aged 13 and 5 at the time. They loved the snorkelling. It was the highlight of their trip. Our kids also enjoyed the dolphin encounter as Anthony's Key but it was fairly pricey. The iguana farm is a fun place to stop as well if you have the time but make sure that it is a sunny day. They let you feed them but they can only eat when it is sunny because they need the sun to digest their food.

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Tour Guides?

I agree with the post about the Pirate's Cave. Try and talk your kids out of it. The caves are not real, don't look real and there's not much going on.

I liked the zipline! They had me cinched in pretty tight so some things were sore but other than that, it was great fun. I'm short, not that much of a jumper and don't have much upper body strength, so couldn't hoist myself up to hook on as easily as many others. That exercise left me with sore stomach muscles too for a couple of days afterwards. I'm still glad I did it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Tour Guides?

Thanks you guys, great insight. Should we just hire a taxi for the day to take us to Gumbalimba Park or contact Cabtours before we arrive and have them arrange the day?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private Tour Guides?

Be aware, if your heart is set on Gumbalimba, that it is not "cheap" to do anything there either. (Someone commented that they thought the dolphin encounter was "pricey". We paid $45 each.)

Right now I am on the Gumbalimba website, and I don't see any prices, but I think I remember paying $35 or $45 EACH for my husband and two kids to go. For entrance to the grounds, it is like $10, and then even if you do the canopy tour, if at the end you want to tour the grounds, you have to cough up another $10. I also became aware when we were on Roatan that for the touristy thngs, there were "cruise ship package rates" and then rates for the rest of the week. So you may be better off spending the money on a cab, and going there on your own and not being part of a tour. I certainly am not an expert, just telling you my take on the situation. These places are geared for the cruise ship days (Wednesday). We were warned and did not leave our resort on these days. The days we did go out and get "touristy" these places were very quiet and empty. I do have to say though, my sons-9 and 10, who are very active boys (sports, love rollercoasters, etc.) thought the zip line was one of the best things they ever did. The guys who went up with them were SUPER. My older son took a camera, but once he realized he couldn't take pictures because he had to wear thick leather gloves, one of the guys volunteered to take pictures for him. And he took hundreds. Last advice-BRING BUG SPRAY! I did not do the zip line because I am deathly afraid of heights. So I just waited down near the beach for 45 minutes. I was eaten alive! Roatan bugs really are bad.

10. Re: Private Tour Guides?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:27 am, September 10, 2009