We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get around?

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get around?

My husband and I are planning a 2 week trip to Roatan in February. After reading all the other posts on here, it seems like the West End is the place to be. I think we'll stay there, but am wondering what the best way to get around is. We'd like to hit up some of the activities like the canopy tour and ecotours, but will probably spend most of our time in the West End area on the beach and diving. Hopefully we can just walk to most places we want to go, but is it worth renting a vehicle or are we better off using taxis for longer trips?

Also, if anyone knows of any small private owner beach houses or cabins for rent in that area, I would appreciate any recommendations! Something with a kitchen and nice outdoor patio/deck area with a bbq would be perfect.

Thanks!

menlo park
Level Contributor
172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get around?

If you're along the beach between West End and West Bay all you need to get around are your feet (for walking, duh) and your thumb (for flagging down the water ferry). The walk from the most remote part of West Bay to the furthest point of West End is about an hour stroll, occasionally involving geting your feet wet. Or you can just hop a water taxi. I don't know how late they run. Getting around the west side of the island couldn't be easier or more pleasant. No car is needed unless you feel the need to explore the other parts of the island, but I can save you the trouble. A taxi from the airport to points in the West End/Bay runs $20. Shop for food in West End.

On the other hand if you're not right on the beach and you end up renting a house on the road from West End to Flowers bay you will definitely need a car. Not only does this road not go along the beach, it climbs maybe 1000 feet very quickly, and you'll not want to walk that more than once. Nice views though. You really really want to be near the water. I did not look into the place thoroughly, but maybe Luna Beach Resort might be what you need, though the beach is not very wide there.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get around?

Thanks very much for the advice! I appreciate the help.

Arlington, VA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get around?

The water taxi only runs until about 6:30 PM and it gets dark very shortly after that. Since you are staying in West End you will see numerous places to rent scooters, dirt bikes, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, go-cart type things, or bicycles. These can be easy and fun ways to get to places for activities and will cost less than renting a car.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get around?

The scooters and stuff definitely sound like more fun than a car. I'm glad to hear they're available. Thanks for the advice.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get around?

We rented scotters this last winter and had a blast. Took them all the way to Jonesville and back and made a few stops in between. If you do this, stop about half way down the island and eat at the view restaurant. Excellent scenery and good food. We rented our scooters from captain vans. Murray (the owner of captain vans) used to live in edmonton before moving to Roatan. He rents scooters out of West End and West Bay.

You mentioned that you will spend most of your time in West end on the beach and diving. You will probably want to stay in West End but catch the water taxi to West Bay beach each morning and hang out there. West Bay probably has one of the best beaches you will ever see.

Hope this helps,

Dean

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get around?

Many have already spoken about beauty of West Bay's Beach ~ voted one of the ten most beautiful in the world by National Geograpic. Most water taxis only run during daylight hours ~ Capt. Brooks does special dinner out runs ~ I'm sure some of the other do as well. I just like Capt. Brooks because he has radios, and life jackets and a cool boat. For now there remains shaded areas that get used by the public at the far end of the bay ~ it does have 'Private Property' sighs up. First 10 meters of beach is public. This puts the shaded areas onto private property. Palapas and lounge chairs are for the use of guests only. There are no public facilities other than in restaurants which have bathrooms but generally not showers.

West End is more of a shopping, dinning out, many dive operators, night life place than a beach place.

Gumbalimba Park which is where one of the canopy tours ends pretty much next to Bayside and Las Rocas at West Bay. You can walk from there to the park and they will take you to the top of the tour. The other one is on (South Shore) the West Bay portion of the West Bay Road.

My husband and I used to do cross country trips on our BMW motorcycle ~ there is no way I would ride a scooter here! But I break a lot easier now then in the past. The scooters seem to have a hard time making up the hills with one average NA sized person on them and even more with two. Once you start renting two you might want to weigh that costs against a safer vehicle. The roads are narrow, twisty, rutted, sandy, oily and very slippery after a rain, and have taxi hazzards.

There are small grocery stores in West End but for major provisioning those stores are at Coxen Hole or French Harbor ~ quite a drive from either West End of West Bay.

Ecotours on Roatan are in the water ~ whale shark adventures out of dive shop at Las Rocas or snorkeling or diving the reef. There is Arch's Iguana Farm (grassroots conservationist) and the Mangrove tours out of Jonesville and Oakridge.

There is one resort that sets on 110 acres of land on Palmetto Bay ~ it has boardwalks through reserves, trails, and miles of very secluded beach.

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get around?

With regard to renting scooters, I'm with G on this one. Further, if you've never ridden before or only have a little experience, Roatan is no place to be making your mark on the road . . literally.

cincinnati
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get around?

In april we werent going to rent a car but by the end of the second day we found it just wasnt working out.After finding out that the rental agencies at the airport dont have computer connections with their home offices?and getting conflicting prices from one minute to the next,we left to go back to our house,and got a good connection from the taxi driver,Jeffreys car rental,great prices and they had a car in our drive in ten minutes.It was agreed at the end of our trip we couldnt have done what we did without our own transportation.

Get answers to your questions about Roatan