We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tired of "phony" reviews being posted........

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
341 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Tired of "phony" reviews being posted........

Okay......I've been reading reviews on the Roatan tripadvisor site for some time. I have noticed that it appears that many of these reviews appear to be phony, i.e. they are written by a person who just happened to join tripadvisor that very day and had never posted any other reviews...and, as well, had "never" asked a question on the forum.

So, I am hoping to spur some real people to post their reviews and trip reports of properties/restaurants in the future. We who have not yet traveled to Roatan would greatly appreciate it. It is my hope to make Roatan tripadvisor reviews a reliable website for people to use.

And, for those properties that are posting "phony" reviews of themselves......shame on you. If this is the shady way you do business, then a possible customer will probably get ripped off by you in some manner. I would definitely think twice about staying at a property that has to cheat in this way.

Has anybody else notice this and what do you think about it?

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tired of "phony" reviews being posted........

bomb doc,

Wow, that sounds like a great trip!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Tired of "phony" reviews being posted........

Patlynn and Others, This is not a short little blurb, if you want the scoop, read the entire thing.

I guess I have not read enough of the reviews to see the phony postings by the property owners ~ not to say that there aren’t. I know of properties that must have phony reviews on their web sites and they definitely have photos of West Bay which is on the other side of a mountain ridge + miles away ~ not close to being within walking distance. There are people presenting themselves as dive tourists and they are not. There are phony reviews by disgruntled guests who have loss security deposits.

I first became a member of Trip Advisor 3 years ago because guests left verified, unpaid bills along with damage to the house. They were out for revenge because I kept a portion of the security deposit to cover the bills and repairs. The resort manager asked me to reply. Recently I had another such reply regarding another forfeited security deposit because the guests had 8 people in a two bedroom villa after they were told that they could only have their family of 5 staying there and I had to replace a soccer ball they admitted to borrowing and losing. In the first instance, Trip Advisor seemed to be open to a ‘manager’s response ~ maybe because it was about a resort. On the second occasion they were not because it was a vacation rental by owner. I tried to get them to pull the post by providing evidence that it was packed with lies and hearsay ~ they would not because it is a forum posting. I suggested that they consider setting rules regarding forum posts about a vacation rental by owner when a loss of a security deposit is involved ~ never got a reply.

In any event, I have been a member for a long time and have made numerous posts but my profile shows none. I tried to post a review of a vacation rental by owner in Blue Ridge Georgia recently and it would not take it because it was about such. Yet, when you do a search on that location you see a reference to it I made in a forum post about Roatan in response to Terridee.

Another suggestion I made to Trip Advisor was that they get their geography straight or at least give equal consideration. It has to do with not presenting the Bay Islands and the islands off the coast of Belize as being in the Caribbean which they clearly are via map outlining the Caribbean Sea. Yet, islands that are not in the Caribbean are presented as such, like Bermuda and the Bahamas that are in the Atlantic ~ well the Bahamas are bordered by the Atlantic on one side and the Sea of Abaco on the other. They say they base their categories on geography and government. When I suggested that in so doing they should place USVI in the US, the BVI in Britain, etc. they became defensive.

Regarding Roatan and the Bay Islands, we have no major hotel chain on the island. The tourists’ accommodations were funded by ‘Gringos’ who, like me, wanted to live here, and by islanders who picked up on idea. We are the ones who try to preserve it. The road to West Bay was put in and paved with private funds. And I could go on and on but this enough, I hope.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tired of "phony" reviews being posted........

GaiaSis,

I think Patlynn was referring to some of the reviews in the hotel section that are glowing and wonderful, but all sound alike. She is right, some folks use the same words and they just all sound alike and they seem to have the same experience. Same with some of the bad reviews.

These people have no other posts other than the review in the hotel section. Your profile shows several posts and we would recognise your TA name even if your posts did not show up as you are a frequent poster.

I did wonder what happened to your Blue Ridge review. We go in two months. Did you try to post in the forum or under hotel review?

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Tired of "phony" reviews being posted........

Traciedee

Yes, I tried several different times to post about the wonderful home we rented in Blue Ridge actually in was in Morganton. It is called Creekside Comfort ~ 4 bedroom/3 bath with loft bed and queen futon ~ fantastic kitchen ~ dining table that seated 12 ~ surround sound even outside~ flat screen TV on a creek. It was well priced and after we split the costs with our friends and family, it was our least expensive trip back state side to visit.

I had also really wanted to let visitors know about the Blue Grass Community gathering in Cherry Log and a restaurant owned and operated by a local lady, but TA just made it very difficult. I posted it several different times in several differnat manners ~ about the rental ~ then about the location and it just never took. I had to move on.

What really took the cake was that they had some data mining tool that found my reference in the Roatan forum post about Blue Ridge and created a link to it when one queries 'Blue Ridge Nt Georgia.

This, 'Get the truth then go' motto needs more supporting effort especially since they are so poor and subjective with geography and research.

15. Re: Tired of "phony" reviews being posted........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 01, 2009