We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the best dive sites, preferably around West Bay

Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
What are the best dive sites, preferably around West Bay

Hi, what are the best dive sites in Roatan? We are staying at the Infinity Bay and looking for a reputable dive operation from West Bay. But we are willing to drive if the dive shop, that takes to some amazing dive sites, is somewhere other than in West Bay.

Thanks in advance for your time & help.

5 replies to this topic
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the best dive sites, preferably around West Bay

The best dive sites are not around West Bay, Too Bad, So Sad, You will however get to some very good dives sites , Most shops have a secret dive or two, but that is reserved for special occasions. How many dives do you have logged? Any dive here may be the best you have ever done , I mean your previous posts are about Barbados, St. John , Curacao, dominica and Jamaica, NONE of those can compare to even mediocre Roatan Diving

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the best dive sites, preferably around West Bay

Let's start with the premise that there are no bad dive sites around Roatan. To answer your question it's necessary to know what you want to see in a dive site. Personally I like dense coral and coral formations. Not all that interested in big critters or walls, but if they happen, so much the better. So I find more of what I like along Sandy Bay and generally east of West End. The sites off West Bay are a little unchallenging for me, but these tend to have lovely shallows. Around the point along the south side where the currents are much stronger, the soft coral thrives and grow huge. A few wrecks scattered here and there. And a few sites have caves lit from above with sunlight. I can barely begin to see most of my favorites in six days.

Rather than name all the hundred or so of my favorite sites and try to steer you to the "best" dive shop, better for you perhaps to try the shop where you are staying. I have to warn you that your question has opened the door to having everyone chime in trying to steer you to the shop they last dived with, as though only that one is best. They're all good, some are just more convenient for you. Then it's just a matter of trying a few sites yourself to see where you should request to go, if you have any choice in the matter. Most shops will certainly try to give you a variety of sites over the course of a week, sampling south side, West Bay, West End and Sandy Bay. It's not unusual during a busy morning to find "your" mooring occupied when you arrive, and you end up some place even better.

Edited: 6:54 pm, April 01, 2018
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the best dive sites, preferably around West Bay

""I have to warn you that your question has opened the door to having everyone chime in trying to steer you to the shop they last dived with, """

Uhm?? NO!, Shop I last dived with was about 12 years ago out of west end, I will not steer them anywhere, For me, the BEST Dive is the area I can walk down my steps and get into the sea BUT, that is not an option for most

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,587 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the best dive sites, preferably around West Bay

Here's a list that you can check out. Die hard divers will travel from West Bay to West End if there's a dive shop they really like. Each one has a different vibe and provides different experiences. Read some of the reviews, check out their websites, write to a few that have caught your eye and see where it takes you.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g292…

I'm sure all the dive shops will take you to places that are the "best dive sites."

Port Dover, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the best dive sites, preferably around West Bay

Dive shop is friendly, well organized, provides servicein store and to the dive trips which will be appreciated, boats are clean well provided with staff and dive masters. Enjoyable and educating during the dives. D M S are very helpful , friendly and fun the way D M S should be.

Well appreciated by our group of about 20 divers.

Reply to: What are the best dive sites, preferably around West Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted