We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to expect when winds are high (20mph+)out of the east?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
what to expect when winds are high (20mph+)out of the east?

Hi everyone

I'll be in Roatan, staying at the Beach House in the West End, arriving March 22 and returning on the 28th. From what I can see, it will be very windy while we are there - accordingly to the extended forecast at least (which I know are only so reliable, but it's hard not to look and panic if it doesn't look perfect! :D)

It does look like the winds are coming from the east (maybe a bit northeast) which seems good for folks, like myself, staying on the west - but I honestly don't know how windy 20mph is. Is this the kinda wind where you can hardly walk outside without getting blown over? Will this severely impact our activities? We aren't divers but plan to snorkel, maybe take a fishing boat tour and want to spend time floating in the ocean, reading on the sand, sipping drinks on our balcony, etc.

Just trying to have appropriate expectations given the windy forecast and looking to get a better understanding of how strong eastern winds could impact our plans.

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: what to expect when winds are high (20mph+)out of the east?

When the winds are bad from the north, dive shops in the west will go south. Roatan is 37 miles long, east to west. The weather in the east isn't the same as in the west. They have kite sailing in the east, whereas it's calm and flat and better for snorkeling in the west.

Check the flags on the boats to see how windy it is. http://roatandivers.com/live-webcam

Take a water taxi to West Bay to check it out..... on a non-cruise ship day! Snorkel in front of Grand Roatan (far left side of the beach as you're looking out to the sea).

Scroll all the way down and click on the cruise ship schedule.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/roatan.html

Have fun!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to expect when winds are high (20mph+)out of the east?

With the exception of rains, the weather is very much the same east to west, it is North and South that see the big difference. This time of years, winds of 20 out of the east are considered minor, Conditions in West End/West Bay will be affected more by how much north or south they are from

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: what to expect when winds are high (20mph+)out of the east?

Thank you for the tips! That's very helpful context, Georgee368.

And thank you for the webcam link, mamajelli!

I'm so excited for this trip (my honeymoon) and want to be blown away by how amazing it is! But not literally blown away :)

Thanks again!

Reply to: what to expect when winds are high (20mph+)out of the east?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted