We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car questions - regular car or 4 X 4?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
341 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
rental car questions - regular car or 4 X 4?

If renting a vehicle, would I need a 4 X 4......I'm not sure whether all the roads are paved, etc. A regular car is less expensive, but I wouldn't want to get stuck somewhere. We plan on exploring a bit.

Thanks....Pat

New England
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car questions - regular car or 4 X 4?

If you plan to explore the island getting a 4x4 is a must.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
341 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car questions - regular car or 4 X 4?

thanks independentman........

New England
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car questions - regular car or 4 X 4?

You're welcome Pat. Us Rhode Islanders generally really like Roatan. I'm sure you will too.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
341 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car questions - regular car or 4 X 4?

Independentman:

As you know, living in N.E., it's important to get out of the cold for at least a few weeks every winter! Otherwise, we really deteriorate mentally!!!!! We are really looking forward to the snorkeling in Roatan and just hanging out. I just booked my airline tickets for next winter, using frequent flier miles....and had to book so early because there's only one flight a week to Roatan (Delta), making using those miles super competitive.

So, I'll be checking the forum frequently, keeping up on Roatan news and reviews.

Thanks.

Pat

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car questions - regular car or 4 X 4?

Hi. If you plan on exploring the Island, definitely a 4x4! Paid $55 for i day. We went to the East End, found an unihabited beach, had to move a tree to get to it. What an adventure! What an Island! Went to the Dominican last year and loved it but had an amazing time in Roatan and plan on going back.

Rose

cincinnati
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car questions - regular car or 4 X 4?

Just got back lastnight and we rented froms Jeffreys car rental on the suggestion of a couple that live at The Sanctuary and got a four door suzuki lunchbox,drove from one end of the island to the other,on the beach,down rutted almost non existent roads and no problem.Only vehicle that got stuck that we saw was a 4x4 ranger buried in the sand.If it starts raining i'd stay on the pavement no matter what i was driving.

columbus
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: rental car questions - regular car or 4 X 4?

rented a tracker for one day while on the island and had a great time. i dont know if a four wheel drive vehicle is absolutely, there are many dirt roads in the US too! but you could do it for peace of mind in case it rains. I rented from

www.roatansalesandrentals.com/rental-cars.htm

they had great service was really easy. also if you are staying in west end there are right in the middle of it and very easy rent for a few days.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
600 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental car questions - regular car or 4 X 4?

PatLynn,

We just got back from Roatan today after a week stay. We had reserved a compact car for the week, but there were none available, so instead they gave us a huge pick up truck. We returned it the next day - roads are somewhat narrow and I think you will find that parking is easier with a smaller vehicle ---- however, we opted for a 4 x 4 Suzuki Jimmy instead of a compact vehicle because access to our cottages (a long driveway) was a dirt road with deep pot holes that probably wouldn't have been easy to manage with a compact car. The Jimmy was small enough that we were comfortable on the roads, but tall enough not to bottom out.

Most of the main roads are paved, but there are some dirt roads that you will encounter in residential areas, or in accessing some restaurant locations. If I remember correctly, Coxen Hole was mostly dirt roads with the exception of the area where the cruise ships docked, and in West End the oceanfront is also a very narrow dirt / sandy road that would probably be easier to manage with a 4 x 4. If you like to explore, I say get a 4 x 4 - whatever size you are comfortable with.

We also explored the east side of the island, but didn't veer off the main road. I think you will find that there is enough to see along the main road itself.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
341 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental car questions - regular car or 4 X 4?

Kim Coco,

Can I ask what rental company you used and whether or not you booked in advance.......cost? Since I will be renting for two weeks, cost is an issue. Right now I have on reserve a compact for $281 for two weeks.....and I figure we could rent a 4X4 for a day when we wanted to explore. When pricing the 4x4's for a full two weeks, it was about $1,000. We really wanted a vehicle for the entire time in order to get back and forth to West End to eat (we are staying on West Bay). If a compact will do for that purpose, then we are fine.

Pat

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: rental car questions - regular car or 4 X 4?

Hi Again Patlynn,

The need of a 4X4 depends on the time of year you are coming and just how adventursome you want to be. The main road is paved but those to places like Palmetto Bay, Jonesville, Oakridge, PayaBay are not.

I think that KimCoco has Coxen Hole confused with another town as the main roads into and through Coxen Hole are paved with side walks.

The road through Sandy Bay runs along the beach, so there is the possibiity of getting stuck in the sand if you do not stay on the beaten trail.

I would think that you would want to talk with whom you are renting to find our what agency they may use ~ they vary greatly in the way they charge and the quality of the vehicle.