We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western End Roads

Dallas, TX USA
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Western End Roads

Maybe should have titled this 'Rental Car caution'. Returned last week from 2 week visit. Can't comment on the current state of the roads island wide, but the road between West Bay and Flowers Bay/Coxen Hole has been bad before, but my goodness it continues to degrade and makes for a hairy drive now. We only used taxis/drivers. Local drivers seem to know how to navigate the potholes... how to duck/dodge/swerve to miss the worst ones, how to pass more cautious or stalled vehicles, when to drive on the sidewalk. Then on the wet days, vehicles without enough traction get stalled going up the hills, so you dodge potholes while passing on a hill. Leaving West Bay going to Sandy Bay, at the T, the road toward Sandy Bay was in much better shape than going toward Coxen Hole. Anyway, driving in the rain or at night being unfamiliar with the road would take a lot more caution. (Also, there were folks in the road with buckets of mud filling the potholes. What's up with that?)

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western End Roads

The guys filling the holes with dirt / mud often do so when rains stop and the holes are better until the next rain, they hope passersby will donate a few lempiras for the effort. Unfortunately some will take advantage and do so in the rains or when it is obviously futile, some will also park themselves near a couple holes and only those few are filled, pass by hours later and the same holes are the only ones filled.. I drive the area almost daily and it is worse now than it has been for many years, the responsibility for the roads is the central Gov't of the mainland and the local government has had trouble working with them , it is an election year so some things should get done, until then I spend more time on my Yamaha UTV then in the truck

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
883 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Western End Roads

"Rental Car Caution"?

As in.... Don't.

Not that this hasn't been said here once or twice before.

The roads suck.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Western End Roads

Thanks, this is helpful for those of us "on the fence" about renting a car.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Western End Roads

Do be very careful about the guys "fixing" the roads. They work as a pair or team. One will stand in front of the car so you can't run over them; the other will stand by your window. They caught me by surprise, unfortunately, and I gave some lempiras. I was later scolded by my local friend. "DON'T ever roll down your window." Just drive around them. Fast.

Also, if there's a car coming full speed from the other side of the street in YOUR lane, slow down. (And say a prayer.) Defensive driving, in the true sense of the word, is your best friend.

The road conditions are getting worse and worse. IMHO, the small potholes are now sink holes, big enough to swallow cars! If you see a "puddle" in the middle of the road, assume that it's deeper than it looks. Stop and go around it, not through it. Even with a SUV, you might end up swimming across the "pond."

In January, the powers-that-be made a big deal of painting the curb in West End yellow, in hopes that would deter people from parking. (In your dreams.) They also painted crosswalks (from nowhere to nowhere). Needless to say, the zebra stripes washed away after the first rain.

Edited: 9:42 am, February 13, 2017
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Western End Roads

Many of the guys "fixing" the potholes with dirt are actually doing an OK service at times, with daily rain it is useless but the first few weeks of January were very dry and many of the holes were filled and stayed filled for some time making the drive easier and safer, I feel a lot better tipping these local guys trying to make a living and feed a family than I do the waiter/waitress/bartender working illegally on a tourist visa as they do their divemaster or instructor program.

North Tustin, CA
Level Contributor
208 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Western End Roads

The painting of curbs in West End was done by the West End Patronato -a NGO made up residents and businesses in West End. All the material and work was donated by local citizens. And while still a work in progress, the goal of no parking in West End and a welcome and safe place to walk are in sight.

So, no funds were taken from the fund we all hope exists for the improvement of the primary road on the island.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Western End Roads

TDM, there is no fund for improvement of the local road, your post is, unfortunately, moot

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Western End Roads

I like Georgee's idea of tipping the local road crews. They're just trying to make a living, and they do perform a public service, as long as it's not raining. Sure their work is a drop in the bucket, but they are to be encouraged.

So here's another idea. After you make your stop at Eldons on your way to your resort, stop at a building material store and buy a 50# bag of asphalt patch. It's US$12 at our HD. Donate that to the first crew you come across, and maybe they can permanently repair 2 maybe 3 potholes. If enough people do it, maybe erect a sign outside the airport, the folks in Tegucigalpa might be embarrassed into doing something. or not.

North Tustin, CA
Level Contributor
208 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Western End Roads

George - Thanks for that brilliant piece of information. Did you notice the "hope exists?" A bit of optimism on a forum focused primarily on visitors to beautiful Roatan never hurt.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Western End Roads

TDM, hope is right there with prayer, guess we could say it is all gods will the way things are going

Get answers to your questions about Roatan