We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Got back from a week stay on Guanaja!

Which Guanaja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Got back from a week stay on Guanaja!

It was amazing, but it wouldnt be for everyone....

Very little developed tourism, no excursions.... like I said it was amaazing!

If you have questions, please ask. I am willing to help!

7 replies to this topic
Kootenays
Level Contributor
400 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Got back from a week stay on Guanaja!

How was the snorkeling? Is there beach access snorkeling or does it generally require a boat?

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Got back from a week stay on Guanaja!

Depends where you stay. If you are on the North Eastern Side the beachfront properties would give beach access to the reef (could be a long swim depending on where you were located). Also at Graham's Place you would be able to access some snorkeling via the beach.

We stayed in Sandy Bay, across from Bonnaci - the shore on this side is very far from the reef and the water is brackish. We did have a boat/driver so we were able to explore other snorkeling sites. It was better then West Bay, but the access was by boat.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Got back from a week stay on Guanaja!

I would be interested to hear more about how you got there, where you stayed, how you liked it, what you ate, and about anything else you haven't already mentioned including whether you went fishing or not. Also, did you snorkel at Graham's Place? We had a great week there in 2008 but didn't find any snorkeling worth getting wet. From Bo's Island House on the north side, though, the walk-in snorkeling was unbelievably awesome.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Got back from a week stay on Guanaja!

We rented a rustic cabin on the hillside in Sandy Bay that came with a boat so we were able to see lots of the island.

We snorkled near Bo's, also further west near the redbanks, and one of the little keys a km or two off the Southern shore. All of it was great, the coral is bigger and brighter then on Roatan. Seemed to be more varieties of fish too, although they were spooky compared to some of the pets over on Roatan.

Even did the hike to the waterfall.

Seafood was plentiful, including fresh water shrimp we caught at the waterfall. We dove for lobster and shellfish, and I took a couple of bar jacks and squid while fishing. Supplementing with some assorted produce that we had to hunt for on Bonacca.

The food boat had not arrived the prior week due to holidays and a breakdown. So the town was buzzing as the ship from the mainland was distributing food to all the little markets and stores. It was one of the highlights of the trip as Bonacca was bustling and we were able to see some other tourists (which there are very few of on the island). Most people we met visiting knew someone who lived there - although we did see one dive boat with 15+ people - we really didnt feel like we were in a tourist area.

My wife and daughter spent a day at Graham's while I flats fished. They had a great day, we returned New Years eve for the fireworks - we had some fried conch fritters then but everything else we cooked on our own. The sea harvest is really bountiful and I enjoy cooking, enjoying a bottle of wine and having family dinners.

We had been spending some time on Roatan before Guanaja so we had been out every night. It was a nice change.

I fished a few of the flats, with great success and no other anglers. Saw lots of bonefish and permit, plus many other flats fish and even some sharks!

We flew Lahnsa for $150 return per person. We from RTB through la Cieba then onto Gaunaja. On the way back we went direct - back to RTB. It was on a small cessna 8 seater with me in co pilots-seat. It was a great way to see the islands. The flights are also available from Sosa. Not sure if it was the time of year, but the flights seemed very regular and full.

It is really like going to a small cottage area- but instead of a lake, you're on an island.

Oh and like the cottage, the bugs are bad, really bad.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Got back from a week stay on Guanaja!

Great - thanks so much! When we visited we split 2 weeks between Bo's and Graham's - nice combination. We prefer to cook our own food as we travel so I understand that appeal. Happy trails!

Honduras
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Got back from a week stay on Guanaja!

There is some of the best snorkeling reefs I've seen around Guanaja. Even though most of them are not accessible from the beach. There are a few like Michael's Rock, the Channel in front of Bo's Place, and a few others. But the world class snorkeling is definitely to be accessed by boat. One of the absolute best snorkeling reefs ever is the south west side of "South West Cay". Just phenomenal! Starting out with a shallow Coral Garden with very healthy growth, and then turning into a breathtaking drop off that falls down to about 60'-80'. Usually you can see a pair of spotted eagle rays flying past the drop!!!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Got back from a week stay on Guanaja!

1 time when we were staying at Bo's he was taking my husband further east by boat to fish his way back along the shore; I had him drop me off part way and snorkeled my way back through that beautiful channel. I was in the water more than 3 hours - flew by! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what time it was.

:-)

Edited: 3:37 am, March 07, 2014
Reply to: Got back from a week stay on Guanaja!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guanaja