We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from Roatan to Guanaja?

Which Guanaja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get from Roatan to Guanaja?

I have read some of the past posts - but I am wondering if things have changed since they were posted. I cannot find a direct flight from Roatan to Guanaja. I have checked both the Lahnsa and the Aerolinea Sosa website - but they are in Spanish! I muddled through with an on-line translator but it appears to me that there are no direct flights from Roatan to Guanaja with either of these airlines. What am I missing? Is the only way to get to Guanaja through Le Ceiba?

We are hoping to go to Graham's Place during the last week of July 2014 - coming from Vancouver, B.C. Canada.

Thanks!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from Roatan to Guanaja?

you'll need to charter a flight. island air on utila will do it and i'm sure there are pilots on roatan available. i always use alice hill at world wide travel on utila to get me with charter flight pilots between the bay islands.

carp, on
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from Roatan to Guanaja?

Your can fly into San Pedro Sula (SAP) overnite there and get a morning flights into Guanaja Monday thru Saturday on Sosa Airlines, Quickest flight Vancouver to SAP is approx. 9 hours. If you want to fly Sosa then contact Alice Hill and she will arrange your tickets. If you want to land at Roatan then use a charter airline.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from Roatan to Guanaja?

You might be able to find someone to take you across by boat; I know the Mango Creek guides sometimes make the trip to Graham's if the weather's right.

If you fly, be sure to confirm ahead and show up plenty early for your flight; when we went to Guanaja we saw people with paid reservations bumped both coming and going (gratefully not us). Our flights were SAP to Guanaja via La Ceiba and then Guanaja to La Ceiba to connect with a ferry to Utila (no flights the day of the week we made the transition).

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - the Guanaja sets are in the 2008 collection. Good luck!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from Roatan to Guanaja?

Thanks for the info....armed with your info, I researched several options and have come to the sad conclusion that it is just simply far too complicated (and too expensive) to get to Graham's Place. We will be putting a trip there on hold for now. Thanks again

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get from Roatan to Guanaja?

Great info - BUT - our original plan was to go from Vancouver to Guanaja (Graham's Place) and then over to our condo in Belize and then back to Vancouver. Getting to Guanaja is just simply too complicated to fit into this itinerary. Too bad - it looks like a lovely place with maybe some great fly-fishing! I perused your photos - they look great! Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get from Roatan to Guanaja?

Thanks - there is no way we can afford a charter - but I now realize that to get from Roatan to Guanaja - there is no direct flight - have to fly through La Ceiba.

Honduras
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get from Roatan to Guanaja?

Actually we are planning on a direct flight from Roatan to Guanaja at the moment. I can not make any promises yet, but there is a good chance we'll have it going by next year. Just send me a message in case you change your mind. Best just a month or two before you arrive. ;)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get from Roatan to Guanaja?

There are a few options. The best one for us is if you have 4 people then Lansa will fly you direct from Roatan to Guanaja. You save money and time by skipping a hop. And if you don't have four people you go from Roatan to La Ceiba and then to Guanaja. It is not a problem.

I email Wendell from Lansa and he sets up my tickets. His email is

wendellpowery@gmail.com

Or Sosa has the flights as well but I find it easier recently going thru Lansa.

Please ask me any questions you have.

Thank you

Dan

Honduras
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get from Roatan to Guanaja?

Wendell stopped working with Lanhsa about two weeks ago. Since about two months I can also sell tickets for Lanhsa though, and if anybody has any special requests feel free to contact me.

Montreal, Quebec...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I get from Roatan to Guanaja?

Hello

I am contemplating going to Honduras (Roatan + Guanaja) Jan 6th to 20th 2014. I haven't booked any place to stay yet as I am trying to organise a flight Roatan/Guanaja. I wish to go on Guanaja for 1 week and then Roatan another week. We will be a couple. Can you help me with flight?

Get answers to your questions about Guanaja