We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater camera suggestions

new haven
Level Contributor
197 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Underwater camera suggestions

Looking to spend in the $100 area. Are there any good waterproof cameras in this price range that people have experience with?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underwater camera suggestions

Here's my take on underwater cameras from a previous thread - maybe something it in that will help. Have a great trip!

Our 1st trip to Belize we bought disposable underwater film cameras and got some surprisingly good results. Then for years I used a digital camera in a EWA waterproof bag which worked but was a bit of a nuisance:

http://www.ewa-marine.com/index.php?id=50

Then I needed to replace my beloved Pentax Optio 450 camera (not waterproof) and chose their W60, thinking it could be my good land camera and work in the water. It was awesome in the water and good it bright settings but lousy in low light:

amazon.com/Pentax-Waterproof-Digital-Camera-…

A few years ago I bought my husband this one for trips and for flyfishing:

amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-Z33WP-Digital-Gr…

He really loves it and our daughter (late 20s) likes hers, too; she has a "better" camera for dry land stuff, though. When my Pentax took on water and died last summer :-( I found a new Fuji z33 on eBay for a fraction of what you'll see on Amazon, so that's what I'll be using in the water for now.

Here are 2 others to consider:

amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-D10-Waterproof-St…

amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-TS3-Waterproof-Stab…

For what it's worth, my (purchased in 2010) land camera is amazing:

amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS5-Digital-Stabili…

Panasonic makes a marine case which I was able to pick up at a fraction of the original cost since the camera is no longer available from the manufacturer; it allows me to take my ZS5 snorkeling (much better photo quality than the options above) and diving.

panasonic.net/avc/…index.html

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - lots of underwater sets there. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

new haven
Level Contributor
197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underwater camera suggestions

Wow thanks!!!

3. Re: Underwater camera suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, February 17, 2014