We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which better route to Roatan

Argentina
1 post
Save Topic
Which better route to Roatan

Hello, I need to know which route is better (more expensive, more fast, easy) if from guatemala city or from cancun.

f someone has to get data with times and prices is better

Thanks

Juan

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which better route to Roatan

You can fly from GUA with Taca Airlines, but they have a reputation for cancelling flights (see other posts) and you'd have to change planes at least once. Otherwise, check out the Hedman Alas bus schedule to La Ceiba and take the ferry or plane from there. You could go via Copan, which I recommend highly as a place to stop, to see the ruins. A few years ago, I also crossed the border from Guatemala to Honduras down near Rio Dulce and then continued along the Honduran coast by local bus. Unfortunately, the weather was bad so I never made it to Roatan.

From Cancun overland you are looking at a long ride or rides. I am not sure if Taca fly from there but check their web site. Again, it would probably involve plane changes and a stopover overnight, probably in San Pedro Sula.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which better route to Roatan

Juan -

TACA out of Guatemala City (www.TACA.com) is your cheapest and quickest of the two flight alternatives though it involves three different flights. The Hedman Alas bus line can get you from Guatemala City to San Pedro Sula where you can fly to Roatan, or to La Ceiba where you can fly or ferry (next day) to Roatan. It is a grueling bus ride starting a 5:15 A.M.

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
3. Re: Which better route to Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 18, 2009