We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

insight on Truillo/ tranquility bay

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
insight on Truillo/ tranquility bay

Hello again, As usual with trip planning, changes occur. I am now contemplating my two destinations to be Pico Bonito/ viila de soldedad and Truillo. I undeerstand Truilla is three hours from La Ceiba. My first option was pico bonito and then on to Omoa ( Paraiso Rainforest Beach Hotel) however, I am not happy with the correspondance and the reality of having to travel back through SPS to get there.

So, my questions and inquiries are about the destination of Truillo as a whole, i am looking for solitude and non touristy action. any thoughts would be appreciated. Im guessing that my first leg of trip would need to be Truilla and then on to Pico Bonito. I am under the impression that I can experieince some Garifuna culture near Truillo?

Thanks

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: insight on Truillo/ tranquility bay

i definitely think trujillo is a better choice than omoa but i think there are better choices still. i highly recommend omega lodge in pico bonito, they also have a garifuna village near by at sambo creek that they can probably take you to visit. omega has white water rafting and hiking in the cloud forest and is very well run.

if you want to get away from it all and also experience garifuna culture perhaps you should consider staying on the cayos cochinos. there is small resort there called turtle bay eco resort (maybe 10 rooms) and perhaps one other place to stay, a b and b i think. its stunningly beautiful on these tiny group of islands, with one small garifuna fishing village, the area is imho much prettier and with far more lovely water than trujillo. anywhere you stay on the cayos would pick you up in there boat from la ceiba (forty minute boat ride).

La Ceiba...
Level Contributor
157 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: insight on Truillo/ tranquility bay

Hi Gina!

Tranquility BAy in Trujillo is perfect if you are looking for some solitude as a solo traveler. Lovely beach, close to Garifuna communities, and the owners are friendly and very helpful. I congratulate you on preferring Trujillo over Omoa.

Regarding Pico Bonito, I would disagree with divenuts, if you are looking for peace and quiet, you are better off at La Villa de Soledad, which is much quieter than Omega Tours Jungle Lodge. Omega tends to have more tourists staying there plus taking their excellent tours, where as La Villa de Soledad is more secluded, and you will have time to relax and enjoy a hammock to read, rest, relax with much more peace. It is still within walking distance of Omega tours if you want to take any of their tours or go to their bar and restaurant to meet other tourists. La Villa de Soledad is a quiet, family run operation where you can mingle with other guests and your hosts or enjoy your own space in piece and quiet! Enjoy your trip to Honduras!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: insight on Truillo/ tranquility bay

No doubt JohnD thinks you should stay at the property he describes so glowingly... going so far as to disagree with divenuts - he is the owner!

Too bad - JohnD is very knowledgeable about the area... he married into a family there and has many connections and since he also works in tourism, he has a lot of experience. But in his previous identity on the TA forums - Hondurastips - and his current one JohnD... he frequently "steers" people in the direction of his property... and sometimes specifically recommends it.

This is a violation of trust. I'd never use his company, services, or lodge.

4. Re: insight on Truillo/ tranquility bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 13, 2015