We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe travel in Honduras?

Greensboro NC
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Safe travel in Honduras?

We plan on traveling from San Pedro Sula to La Ceiba then take the ferry to Roatan. On the way back we are planning on spending a few days in Copan. Can anyone suggest the safest way to travel from San Pedro to La Ceiba then to Copan? Should we rent a car? Hire a guide? Does anyone know a good guide? Should we take the non-stop bus to La Ceiba?

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro Sula
San Pedro Sula
Cortes Department, Honduras
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Atlantida Department, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,351 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe travel in Honduras?

I'm fond of Hedman Alas buses - safe, comfortable, and efficient.

www.hedmanalas.com

If you decide to hire a private driver, here's a good one:

Miguel Martel 504-962-00372 (dial 011 first if calling from the US)

My photos and recommendations are below in case you're interested. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe travel in Honduras?

i'd second hedman alas bus line as a way to get to la ceiba and copan. from the bus station in la ceiba to the ferry its a 10 min taxi ride and most hotels in copan will pick you up from the bus station.

honduras is safer than the many crime related posts on tripadvisor would make it seem. have a great trip.

ps. i highly recommend hacienda san lucas for accommodation in copan, if you don't stay there at least go for dinner.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,351 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe travel in Honduras?

Or at the very least, lemonade on the terrace and a hike to Los Sapos. :-)

www.haciendasanlucas.com

Greensboro NC
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe travel in Honduras?

Thank you guys, there is actually a video on youtube that walks you step by step where to go to pick up the bus. Looking at the bus schedule it looks like there are a couple different classes/prices, is that right? Thanks again I have sent an inquiry to the Hacienda San Lucas.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,351 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe travel in Honduras?

Yes, there are different types of buses; some of them take considerably longer than Hedman because they stop along the way.

6. Re: Safe travel in Honduras?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 pm, August 28, 2011
Danli, Honduras
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe travel in Honduras?

Why you talk abut Danli, is a small town than have nothing for visit? get more informated my friend, we have the best tabacco in the world (Plantation and Factory), we have coffe plantations, we have History, we have Securyty in our city, not like Teguz, San Pedro, La Ceiba where the thiefs and the killers are crazy, no talk about my city just because where you live have sea.

Edited: 11:14 pm, August 29, 2011
Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Danli, Honduras
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe travel in Honduras?

Why you talk abut Danli, is a small town than have nothing for visit? get more informated my friend, we have the best tabacco in the world (Plantation and Factory), we have coffe plantations, we have History, we have Securyty in our city, not like Teguz, San Pedro, La Ceiba where the thiefs and the killers are crazy, no talk about my city just because where you live have sea.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
9. Re: Safe travel in Honduras?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, October 10, 2012