We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for 10 days in Honduras

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Topic
Where to go for 10 days in Honduras

Should I go to Rotan and if so, what part should I stay in?

The type of travel I enjoy is more backpacker centric.

Would 10 days be too long?

What are your top 5 places to visit/do there?

How's the nightlife, snorkling, wildlife?

thanks

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for 10 days in Honduras

i would fly into san pedro sula airport and take the hedman alas bus to the mayan ruins at copan (3 hrs, $20). stay in copan two nights then take hedman alas again to la ceiba (6 1/2 hrs $35) and get on the 4pm ferry to utila. a great fun island, backpacker vibe with lots of young people from europe, scandinavia and u.s.,(roatan is mostly middle aged and up americans and canadians) fun nightlife and great diving, very cheap place to learn to dive if you don't already. stay in utila for a week, or alternatively spend a night or two at omega lodge outside la ceiba on your way to utila.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for 10 days in Honduras

thanks

I'll look up those places..any idea of costs and best packpacker hostels to stay at? right now the problem is getting airfare, but maybe it'll be easier to the other airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for 10 days in Honduras

american and taca have great prices to san pedro sula (especially mid-week) on their websites, i paid $256 rt from chicago last month on american.

hacienda san lucas isn't cheap $125 a night but well worth the splurge.

omega lodge is $55-75 a night.

on utila you can get free nights (or $3-20) at most dive places if you're taking a course but even if you want "superior" accommodation in town you could stay at the lighthouse inn for $55 a night.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go for 10 days in Honduras

i agree, aa.com has great prices to san pedro sula

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,498 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go for 10 days in Honduras

In Copán, check out la Manzana Verde:

www.lamanzanaverde.com/

Last I checked, Omega Lodge provided free lodging if you paid for a tour that day;

www.omegatours.info

On Utila, as above, there are lots of budget options; you can look on:

www.aboututila.com

Happy trails!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,218 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go for 10 days in Honduras

Don't know if Spirit is an option for an airline near you. They have ridiculously low prices to San Pedro Sula. Flight times are usually "off hours" making it a little less convenient. Omega Lodge looks great to us and is on the radar for our next trip to Roantan. SPS to La Ceiba....stay at Jungle Lodge. Ferry or fly to either Roatan or Utila. We see plenty of young backpackers in West End Roatan so it may be an option to explore. Transportation on local van (buses) is inexpensive and it is a diverse island worth exploring. If you want to travel around you could do both Roatan and Utila. Go to Roatan first then take a daily catamaran ferry over to Utila...return to the mainland from there.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,498 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go for 10 days in Honduras

Here's a link to the Lighthouse mentioned above, it's awesome:

aboututila.com/AccomInfo/…Index.htm

If you stay a week it's $300 (~$43/night).

Location is great, over the water by the bridge leading to the old airport where there's good snorkeling from shore, flyfishing, a nicish beach (small fee). Also practically next to my favorite dive shop, Alton's, and our favorite restaurant, RJ's Barbecue. Happy trails!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go for 10 days in Honduras

Think I’ve got a plan…

18th land and stay in San Pedro Sula (tour city)

19th transport and stay in Copan, depart either the 21st or 22nd (arrive, ruins, something else)

21st/22nd transport to either Roatan or Utila, depart the 28th (arrive, snorkel, snorkel, transfer islands, arrive, snorkel snorkel)

28th transport to La Cieba/Omega jungle lodge, depart 31st (arrive, rafting, lagoon canoe trip)

31st transport back to San Pedro Sula for last night (tour city)

1st, fly back to Seattle

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,498 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go for 10 days in Honduras

If you mean April 18th to 31st you might want to be sure everything is booked up in advance. The 18th through 24th is Semana Santa, Easter week. It's likely to be one of the busiest weeks of the year on the islands; the may need to switch the order around in order to get the accommodations you want. Other than that, looks like a good plan. Good luck!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,218 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go for 10 days in Honduras

Sounds like a great plan but if it is April, I agree w/ hopefulist....switch it around for less crowded island experience and better accomodation choice. Prices also are usually up for Easter week in the Bay Islands.

Get answers to your questions about Honduras